Asus VH236 HDMI + ati5770

iloqin

Distinguished
May 2, 2010
So both the card and monitor has HDMI. When I connect them, the screen isn't filled to the edge of the screen fully, there is a gaping bar of black all around the edge of the screen.

When I use the DVI, the screen automatically detects and the screen goes on full and looks right. i tried using the HDMI and changing settings with the screen, to no avail.

Anyone have a clue to why when I mate up HDMI from my video card to HDMI on the monitor it doesn't display on the screen correctly? and is there anyway I can get it to display full on the screen instead of smaller?

No and I doubt they will, they do this to combat a TV feature called overscanning/underscanning, which will show the same symptoms but worse usually. THey shrink the image a little bit so it will fit on the screen, so you can at least nagivate around to fix it as opposed to stuff being off your screen. I think nvidia cards do the same.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overscan If you want to know why TV's do this.

iloqin

Distinguished
May 2, 2010
Eh, I still find that backwards somehow... my DVI reads it perfectly, not too sure why it takes a step back on a more advanced connection such as HDMI... alwell, at least I know the fix now

bdbeall

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
The DVI port is built for a computer and is more specialized than the HDMI. Even though HDMI is a newer technology it also works with a lot of very different pieces of Hardware. DVD, BluRay, VideoGames and the like. Also nVidia does do it, but they do a BAD job doing it. Every time i plug my rig into my tv to watch a movie with my gf i cant see the damn taskbar.

I think thats why ATi made it so its a bit smaller so you can atleast see everything. I have the same issue with a nVidia card. Ended up making some custom resolution for the TV.