Tell me what you think of this build:)

D

Deleted member 362816

Motherboard-MSI NF750-G55 AM3 NVIDIA nForce 750a SLI HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
Cpu- AMD Athlon II X4 640 Propus 3.0GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor ADX640WFGMBOX
Ram-2X G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL
Case-Thermaltake Element V Black Edition Steel Full Tower Computer Case Colorshift Fans VL200K1W2Z
Psu-COOLMAX CUG-950B 950W ATX12V v2.3 EPS12V v2.91 SLI Certified / CrossFire Ready Modular Active PFC and Compatible with Core i3/i5/i7 Power
Drive-LG Black 10X Blu-ray Burner - Bulk SATA WH10LS30 LightScribe Support - OEM
HDD's-500gb wd--OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD3-2VTX120G 3.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Gpu's-2XGalaxy 60XGH3HS3CUD GeForce GTX 465 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card in SLI
Watercooler-H70 corsair

Let me know what you think of this build oh btw i didnt want 460s i prefer 465 because my bios flash to 470 worked

Solution
I wouldn't trust Coolmax with entry level PSUs that power docile IGP rigs nevermind to power that set up LOL

Power Supplies With Fake 80 Plus Badges
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Power-Supplies-With-Fake-80-Plus-Badges/1054/2
Coolmax ZP-750B: The manufacturer lists this model as having 80 Plus Bronze certification, but it doesn't.
Coolmax ZP-850B: The manufacturer lists this model as having 80 Plus Bronze certification, but it doesn't.
Coolmax ZP-1000B: The manufacturer lists this model as having 80 Plus Bronze certification, but it doesn't.

Edit: Confirmed

Reviews - Coolmax CUG-950B 950W
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story4&reid=106

Performance (40% of the final score) - I am not an easy...
I wouldn't trust Coolmax with entry level PSUs that power docile IGP rigs nevermind to power that set up LOL

Power Supplies With Fake 80 Plus Badges
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Power-Supplies-With-Fake-80-Plus-Badges/1054/2
Coolmax ZP-750B: The manufacturer lists this model as having 80 Plus Bronze certification, but it doesn't.
Coolmax ZP-850B: The manufacturer lists this model as having 80 Plus Bronze certification, but it doesn't.
Coolmax ZP-1000B: The manufacturer lists this model as having 80 Plus Bronze certification, but it doesn't.

Edit: Confirmed

Reviews - Coolmax CUG-950B 950W
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story4&reid=106

Performance (40% of the final score) - I am not an easy guy to rile. Sure, it does happen, but I'm pretty good at using bio-feedback to calm myself down again and go about my day. I'm having some trouble with my usual calm down methods today, for one thing above all is obvious to me: the Coolmax CUG-950B is not a 950W power supply. It is not an 800W power supply. It is not a 700W power supply. It's a drastically overrated decently performing 600W power supply. Even worse, it's nearly identical in almost every way as the CUG-700B I reviewed before. I gave that unit a reluctant 6 for performance, because it did ok for the most part. This unit has no excuse for the rotten efficiency above 600W, epic fail ripple, failure to even start up at 940W, and in general behaving like the second coming of the 700W model with absolutely none of the issues with that unit even having been addressed. I keep going back on forth on this, because I'm a soft hearted kind of guy, but every time I look at the load test results and scope shots I feel my blood boiling.

Coolmax, you sent me a 1350W unit once, and it ruled. But this unit is about as far from that one as you can get. Try again with a good 950W design, and then give me a call. This one gets a 0, because this is not a 950W unit. Not no way, not no how.

Solution

chloefreak17

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
New PSU, a good brand like corsair.
Maybe get a better CPU and drop to the SLI 460's, i hear there isn't too much difference considering the price. Maybe a Phenom II 955be?
Also maybe a secondary HDD for storage but thats optional

bdbeall

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
I know it is 70 dollars more but it is worth it. If your PSU goes so does your whole system, if your lucky it will just take the mobo with it...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139013

Also if you are truly pressed bout the 70 bucks

here is 10 of it
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157198

here is another 20
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145260

here is 60, now youve saved 10 bucks :)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065&Tpk=hyper%20212%20plus

that watercooler for your proc is not needed your still only dissipating heat as fast as the fans on the fins can get rid of it so just go with the best traditional fan/heatsink they have on the market. weighs 200 grams less so less stress on your mobo, and it will have the smae impact on your system with the right case set up.

Speaking of your case, if you want the one you have for aesthetic reasons or for the fun knobs on the top, then go for it. But if you are going to buy a full tower case for 160 bucks, get this one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129043

D

Deleted member 362816

I just built it i posted on other fourms in here and they all told me that the 640 wont bottleneck it...

D

Deleted member 362816

What was the point of that post. If you dont have something constructive to say dont post.

Somebody_007

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
trust me that's going to bottleneck. http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2010/10/14/amd-phenom-ii-x4-970-review/6 look at these two benches. Thats a cpu which is better than yours(the 645 you have the 640) and it's bottlenecking heavily as you can see even campared to other low budget CPUs(min fps is what matters seeing as that is which we experience as lagg the average doesn't matter as much since if the average fps is so low that's noticable than you're system is just not good enough for the game. That's why the site rates according to min fps).

Now keep in mind your cpu is slower than the one in the tests and your gpu much much faster(they use a 5870 which gets slaughtered by 465 sli). So trust me on the fact that that cpu will bottleneck very heavily. I'd like to have a word with the people that told you it wouldn't ^^.

If your playing on 1080p bottlenecks will be smaller, but thats like 30% less bottlenecking or even less and considering those 465s are far more than 30% faster than a 5870 it means that you'll still get far bigger bottlenecks than in the benchmarks.

As others have said there may be some CPU bottleneck, but it all depends on the game. You can often lower CPU intensive options to give your CPU some breathing room (living without some physics and particle effects) depending on the game. Of course, to help lower your bottleneck I would recommend overclocking your CPU and putting a small fan on the north bridge when you do. Those 750 boards can run rather hot but it seems MSI did a pretty good job on that particular line of boards

I'm not too crazy about your PSU simply because those units aren't of the best quality. I wouldn't try running furmark on that thing :O. I suppose it should hold up under normal use but with those two flashed Fermi cards I do think you're taking a bit of a chance.

Somebody_007

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
actually as you can see in the benchmarks that would provide a significant boost(in the benchmarks it's clocked at 3.7 which draws it much closer to the amd competition. In comparison to similar intel competition(take the pentium for example which is far far cheaper some i3s are also in this price range and they are great for games unlike the amds which are too many cores for too little oompf) it#s still painstakingly slow, but unless you can purchase a whole new intel mobo and cpu it doesn't seem like worth upgrading to another am3 cpu. I'd say if you can afford a new intel sandy bridge or amd bulldozer(if they are any good) when they hit the market get one of those otherwise just glare at your 460s and their yet to be unleashed power :p

D

Deleted member 362816

I think that i am going to flash them back to 465 lol. i think the element v case i have had good cooling for this setup. all i know is i ram 2X 4870 1gb crossfired with a 9850 with is scored much lower then the athlon 640 and i did not bottelneck there

D

Deleted member 362816

I ran this same psu on that setup also i dont think that all of the cug-950b's sucked lol but some do

Somebody_007

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
the problem is bottlenecking is difficult to test there is no perfect balance or certain point where the cpu is too slow. It#s different with every game and every scene within that game. And even then when you pinpoint a specific moment you#ll still get an improvement from a gpu upgrade even when your cpu was already bottlenecking. you need to find the sweet spot in price and performance and frankly you ain#t got it :p. Let's say an i5 760 costs around 20% more considering entire system price whereas it provides a 40% increase in performance(again this is with a 5870 in your case the percentage would be higher) so I consider that a bottlenecking sytem which is unbalanced.

justaguywithagun

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009

whats the point in asking an opinion of your already-built machine, if its already built - thus negating the possibility of changing anything that may be awry?
and it was constructive, that chipset is known for failing more quickly than not. thought you may want to know, in case something becomes quirky. youre welcome. :)

D

Deleted member 362816

North Bridge failing due to heat? is this what you are talking about? I see they make some aftermarket heatsinks for northbridge they worth it?

justaguywithagun

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
stress the machine for 20-30min, run prime95 + furmark. give the northbridge heatsink the finger test. if its hot enough to cause pain, take the heatsink off and apply good thermal paste (AS5 or whatever). then add a fan. 30-40mm. might look a little ghetto, but itll be functional. i wouldnt bother replacing the entire northbridge heatsink, personally.
by the time you factor in an additional heatsink for the mobo, you wouldve been better off getting an 890GX chipset mobo from asus or the like and swapping those 465's for 6850's

TRENDING THREADS