irontrooper

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010
I have bought one configuration without Graphic Card, Cooler and it quite lacks RAM, so now I am left to upgrading, but I am pretty clueless. I use my PC for plenty of things: Photo editing, image drawing, 3D modeling (Not hardcore, just a hobby), playing some interesting games (On High is just enough, no need for Max even tho its welcome ;P) and playing thing called Second Life. Also I like my PC quiet =P

Anyways, here are my current specs!
Configuration Helium
Motherboard: INTEL BLKDH55PJ
Processor: Intel Core i3 540 (Socket 1156 LGA)
2GB of RAM, 1333MHz
HITACHI HDS721010CLA332, 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"
Power supply: 420W ATX

Don't think there's anything more to add to the current list. (Yeah, I'm on integrated at the moment!) Now, my idea is to get additional 4GB of RAM at least. Graphic card something among lines of these or any of your ideas: Gainward nVidia GeForce GTX 460, Sapphire ATI Radeon HD6850, XFX ATI Radeon HD5830...

If I get some of those, I bet I'll need better Power supply, I'm not that good with those and I'm not quite sure which one to get. Also, I am unsure if I need cooler and how good one. I'm from Croatia so we don't have exactly all the stuff.

My remaining budget is about 250-300 Euros.

Thanks guys, hope to see some help here!

You can get a 4gb memory kit (2x2gb) then you can sell the 2gb you have already.

GTX460 1 gb would be a good choice and you can probably get away with the power supply you have as long as it's a decent quality unit.

irontrooper

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010
I'll get 1x4GB rather, I prefer having lots and lots of RAM since I am mad multitasker.

I have no idea if its 'decent' enough supply, that is why I wouldn't mind getting any other graphic card or power supply.

Any other opinions? =)

MEM - You are better off with 2x2GB to take advantage of the memory controllers (see MB manual). Or 2x4GB if you were going with 8GB total. Dual kit...

GPU - The 6850 would be a nice option.

PSU - Suspect as GeekApproved hinted toward... You might be fine with a single GPU, but any type of CPU / GPU upgrade past this will most likely be hitting a ceiling.

irontrooper

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010
4GB total seem too little for me, alright then 2x4GB to get 8 in total.

I see that 6850 is better in some aspect, but also more costly, will check if i can get it cheaper somewhere hopefully. I use only one display at the moment.

I will stick with this PSU then, I use only one GPU and will keep this CPU for a while now.

Alright, don't get the 6850. For sure, since your sticking with a single card the 460 would give you the best bang for your buck. At the moment the prices on the 6850 are not even at the original MSRP for most cards. Get the 460, then OC it. Another thing you want to keep in mind.

A reason for the 460, since you do edit. Most developers of editing software (referring to video editing) are trying to take advantage of the Cuda cores, so the 460 gets the upper hand. Plus one major dev is Adobe, which offers Mercury Playback Engine that is designed to give Cuda a boost.

Yes, you should go for the 2x4gb, it's a great bet since you'll get dual channel speed. Oh Umm... if you look at 460's. Check the 460 DirectCu, great cooler, quiet and cool temps.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/37499-hd-6870-hd-6850-vs-gtx-460-1gb-overclocking-study-14.html

irontrooper

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010
Thats a big juicy answer I like to hear! Alrighty, will go for 460 for sure then. Time to order it and wait until its here. I'm getting either Palit's or Gainward's 460

Thanks for your replies! =)