Sign in with
Your question

How do I Set Asus M4A78T-E DRAM Speed to 1066?

Last response: in Motherboards
November 20, 2011 10:28:15 PM

Hello. I'm running a homebuilt XP Pro SP3 box with:

Asus M4a78T-E
AMD Athlon II X2 255
Crucial DDR3 PC3-10600
WD Caviar Green SATA 1 TB

Since I installed the hard drive (was using IDE) and some crucial memory, it's been crashing on full-screen Youtube and at other times. Suspecting the new Corsair memory, I tested it and got errors. The Corsair tech on their forum noticed that my CPU does not accept PC3-10600 memory. He said I should set the memory to DDR1066 and retest. I did and got no errors.

However, the problem did not go away, and I do not know how to set the RAM speed to 1066, because the nearest setting is 1067. I set the onboard graphics memory to 1066 but I have my choice of either 800 or 1067 for the memory.

This is my first build in years and years, and I don't really know all the new stuff.

So my newbie-type questions are:

Does not having the memory and main memory speeds exactly the same cause problems?
Would setting the DRAM speed to 1066 make my memory compatible with the Athlon II, which cannot use it at its rated speed?
Is there a multiplier somewhere I can set so that the DRAM speed can be set to 1066.

When it crashes in XP, it freezes, sometimes playing its audio buffer over and over again. Then the hardware hangs on reboot, and then Windows often won't load.

I had it dual-booting Ubuntu and it crashed on full-screen video as in XP, so I think it's a hardware problem.

Thanks for any help,
Theron
November 28, 2011 3:17:15 PM

theron said:
Hello. I'm running a homebuilt XP Pro SP3 box with:

Asus M4a78T-E
AMD Athlon II X2 255
Crucial DDR3 PC3-10600
WD Caviar Green SATA 1 TB

Since I installed the hard drive (was using IDE) and some crucial memory, it's been crashing on full-screen Youtube and at other times. Suspecting the new Corsair memory, I tested it and got errors. The Corsair tech on their forum noticed that my CPU does not accept PC3-10600 memory. He said I should set the memory to DDR1066 and retest. I did and got no errors.

However, the problem did not go away, and I do not know how to set the RAM speed to 1066, because the nearest setting is 1067. I set the onboard graphics memory to 1066 but I have my choice of either 800 or 1067 for the memory.

[...]

Thanks for any help,
Theron

Me again. Searching for "M4A78T-E freeze" disclosed that this motherboard, possibly owing to an AMD CPU bug or incompatibility, can freeze with dual-channel memory at 1333 or higher.

The latest BIOS does not let you set all RAM parameters as the previous one did. So maybe that's why I can't set it to 1066, only 1067.

Also, this system ran fine until I upgraded the hard drive and the memory, and began using the second channel.

So my solution has been to remove the second channel of memory, which of course my 32-bit OS was not addressing anyway. I am now running a single 4GB stick of the Crucial memory, set at 800 MHz. The onboard graphics memory speed is set to 1066.

When I rebooted, I tried loading everything at once, trying to crash it. I then watched a bunch of full-screen videos with Firefox, which generally crashes it pretty quick. Just now I watched two 1080p HD YouTube videos, and the system didn't crash.

So far, so good. I think the videos would have crashed it by now if that hadn't been it.

Theron
m
l
!