Maximus lv extreme-z boot device led and error code 34

YB4

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2011
Help, never assembled a computer before.

Just assembled:
Maximus extreme-z
intel core i7 lga1155
2 x 4G gskill ripjaws x
2 x Radeon HD 6970
1 TB seagate Sata lll

On boot I get red Boot Device Led and error code 34. The monitor is blank. Tried reseating CPU, RAM, GPU cards, checked all connections.

hilltopmonk

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
If you check the User Manual for the Mobo it should tell you what the error code stands for.
In your case it is "post memory initialization" error

This could mean;
1 Your RAM is broken or not installed correctly
2 Your mobo is DOA
3 Something random that defies all reason

Try removing your RAM modules and putting 1 in at a time. (socket closest to the CPU) - Make sure the RAM is installed completely. If in doubt youtube "installing RAM"

Good luck

YB4

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2011

I tried one stick of RAM then the other, and I tried different slots, still the same. Also tried one video card then the other even tried no video card, still the same. The CPU led is green and the DDR led is green. The BIOS 1 led is yellow. The HD led doesn't come on but the HD is spinning. I tried plugging the HD into SATA 3, SATA 6 and Marvell SATA, still the same. Also, there are no beeps on power up.

YB4

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2011
Solved

I took the motherboard with cpu and ram attached to Memory Express. They said it worked fine. I did some research and found out that I was supposed to plug in 2 power supply cords into each video card, both the 8 pin and the 6 pin. I thought I was supposed to use one or the other. The Sapphire Radeon instructions said absolutely nothing about the power supply to the cards. With both cords plugged into each card everything works now.

Thanks,