Sign in with
Your question

New Rig Mobo Help PLEASE

Last response: in Motherboards
November 20, 2011 10:38:10 PM

This is my 1st gaming system im building and im not really sure how to go about picking a motherboard. I plan on using intel i5-2500k Sandy as the processor. Iv'e heard great reviews.

My problem is i don't know alot about motherboards. Currently im thinking of using Maximus IV Gene-Z 1155. Is this a good motherboard for gaming? I want to be able to play games like BF3, Skyrim, and any other future games without any hassle.

Heres was i Have so far.

Mobo: Maximus IV Gene-Z Z68
CPU: i5 2500k Sandy
Memory: G. Skill Ripjaws 8GB (2 x4gb) 1600
Case: CM HAF 922 RC
HDD: Caviar Black 750GB 7200. Whats the difference with HDD and SDD?
GPU: GeForce GTX 570
PSU: Corsair 800g gaming series
Monitor: ASUS 24' LED monitor

does this look like a good setup for a primarily gaming system? Like i said im new to this so any help at all would be much appreciated! Trying to keep it between 1000-1500 max

More about : rig mobo

November 20, 2011 11:54:35 PM

HDD is a magnetic disk - works kind of like a massive CD.
SSD is like a USB stick - Much faster at everything but also a lot more expensive. If you got the money its a must, but you will still need a HDD if you got a lot of files (eg music).

For a Mobo its all about the features nowadays. There is no performance difference between any of them if they use the same chip (eg P67 vs P67 or Z68 vs Z68).

If your after 2 graphics cards you need to be more picky but seeing as your only after 1 then just check the features and go from there.
Google "Toms Hardware z68 Mobo roundup" for a more informed view.

You will also want a aftermarket cooler (eg. Arctic Cooler etc.) as they tend to be quieter and a lot cooler.
m
l
November 21, 2011 12:57:29 AM

Im trying to shave some money off my rig so im thinking of replacing the geforce 580 with Gigabyte Radeon HD 6870. Is this a good idea?
hilltopmonk said:
HDD is a magnetic disk - works kind of like a massive CD.
SSD is like a USB stick - Much faster at everything but also a lot more expensive. If you got the money its a must, but you will still need a HDD if you got a lot of files (eg music).

For a Mobo its all about the features nowadays. There is no performance difference between any of them if they use the same chip (eg P67 vs P67 or Z68 vs Z68).

If your after 2 graphics cards you need to be more picky but seeing as your only after 1 then just check the features and go from there.
Google "Toms Hardware z68 Mobo roundup" for a more informed view.

You will also want a aftermarket cooler (eg. Arctic Cooler etc.) as they tend to be quieter and a lot cooler.

m
l
!