Should I change my build's GPU?

metalface

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010
My original build idea
cpu: i5 760
mobo: p7p55d-e pro
gpu: gtx 460 hawk (buy another in a year for SLI)
ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB
PSU: XFX 650W
case: LIAN LI Lancool PC-K62
monitor: VW246H 24" Asus LCD 1920x1080

I've been considering either changing GPU to a 470, a 6870 (still upgrading with another card in sli/CF in a year with both) or sticking to this build... Thoughts?

Thanks for reading

Solution
I don't see a reason not to get HD6850, it performs a bit better, uses a bit less power, overclocks as well, and scales just as good in Crossfire while costing $20 less.

Unless you play many Nvidia-biased games, need CUDA/3D or really want a custom fan model and cant wait for the customs 6850s (The CuCore is ready FYI). Pickup the 6850 instead.
The GTX460 is still a solid choice, but the new HD6850/70 are giving more options. Based on the reviews I saw today I would select HD6870 over the GTX470 especially if you intend to crossfire then there is always the power requirement difference, some interesting numbers for crossfire at anand´s today.

Timop

Distinguished
I don't see a reason not to get HD6850, it performs a bit better, uses a bit less power, overclocks as well, and scales just as good in Crossfire while costing $20 less.

Unless you play many Nvidia-biased games, need CUDA/3D or really want a custom fan model and cant wait for the customs 6850s (The CuCore is ready FYI). Pickup the 6850 instead.

Solution

Timop

Distinguished

I was referring to the upfront-price compared to the 1GB GTX460.
It is launch day after all, so any stock at MSRP is a good thing.

Guys, you are reading the reviews but not the pricing this day at Newegg.

According to Anand and Tom's, the 6850 and 460 are comparable at stock, and this 460 at $180 is OC'd. Its a good thing to see 6850 stock on release date, but the cheapest 6850 I can find is also $180.

I'd normally agree on the mobo issue, but the only mobo Asus/Giga mobo that's x8-x8 in crossfire also supports SLI. The OP has so far chosen an Asus x16-x4. Either way I'd go with this Gigabyte at x8-x8, cheaper than the Asus, and supports cross/sli:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128409

Timop

Distinguished
35Mhz isn't alot, it should barely make up the performance gap of the 460, more more performance he is going to need to OC himself anyways. Both are nice cards, but I would prefer the 6850 as you pay less upfront.

By the way, the P7P55D-E Pro is X8/X8 actually, not X16/X4 like you say. Its also $15 cheaper than the Gigabyte so I dont know why you suggested that.

Mail in rebates should be considered a bonus, not the actual price of the card IMO. Factory OCs are meaningless. It's very easy to overclock on your own and you will get much, much better results. Also if you look at more than one site you'll see most have the HD6850 as (very) slightly faster.
The new anti-aliasing on the HD6000 cards is also very impressive. I'd like to see more comparisons with traditional AA but it may make all of the benchmarks essentially meaningless if you get quality anti-aliasing at a very minor performance hit and that seems to be the case.

I respect your opinion about MIRs, but to me money is money.

Factory OCs aren't meaningless to one who doesn't OC. If the OP were going to OC his vid card, he would not have chosen the Hawk.

There may well be future benefits to the HD6850's architecture and approach. Sort of depends on drivers and designers, too. And I'd really rather not get into a historical discussion of relative drivers.

In two other builds in the last 24 hours I've recommended the 6850/70 as the right cards. I have a fair idea of what they can do - as reported by the two sites I mentioned. In this case, today, I'd still recommend the 460. It's performance is known, its SLI scaling proven.

The HD6850, including crossfire setups is known and proven as well, there's dozens of reviews to look at this point. It's simply a better card and it is cheaper as well and that ignores that it should only gain performance from driver revisions.
As for rebates indeed, money is money and having your money taken away from you for several months and returned only after you jump through some hoops is far from ideal and even then sometimes you get screwed.
BTW The Hawk was specifically designed with overclocking in mind so if you are going to assume anything it should be the opposite.

also, you have to remember there is no physx processing with ATI cards...if your into that....I would probably chose the gtx460 if it werent for my psu only just being able to run it. but I will be going for the 6850 purely because my PSU will run it without struggling, depending what the pricing is like by the time it hits shelves in Australia.

metalface

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010
Thanks for all the great info everyone. Sorry I haven't replied quicker as work has been busier lately...

Seems like 68** series would probably be a better choice budget/performance/power wise... Crossfire does look like it scales very well and it seems like the 6850 is a good OC so maybe the 6850 is a better all around choice? Too many choices and not enough reviews =x

picked Timop for best answer but everyone contributed great info! thanks all