New build... decided to go for a little more 'future proofing'.
Uses: Gaming, small amount of picture and video editing
Screen resolution: Asus VW246H - 1900 x 1200 (Thinking of getting this monitor soon)
Expectations: Play most games maxed out (with the exception of Metro 2033.. might crossfire the 6870 later to achieve this 'benchmark').
* BLUETOOTH: None
* CARE1: Ultra Enhanced Packaging Solution - Protect Your Dream System During Transit [+19]
* CARE2: CoolerMaster Thermal Fusion 400 Extreme Performance CPU - Thermal Compound Optimized for Thermal Dissipation [+10]
* CARE3: Professional Wiring for All WIRING Inside The System Chassis - Minimize Cable Exposure, Maximize Airflow in Your System [+19]
* CAS: CoolerMaster HAF 912 Mid-Tower Gaming Case w/ Adjustable HDD Cage [-29] (Black Color)
* CASUPGRADE: None
* CD: Sony 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive [-47] (BLACK COLOR)
* CD2: None [-16]
* CPU: AMD Phenom™II X6 1090T Six-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology
* CS_FAN: Maximum Enermax 120MM Case Cooling Fans for selected case (Maximum Silent Operation) [+29] (1,000 RPM Black Color with No LED Enlobal Magnetic Barometric Bearing 17 dBA)
* FA_HDD: None
* FAN: CoolerMaster V6 CPU Cooler (Copper Base Double-V Heatpipe) [+6]
* FLASHMEDIA: None
* FLOPPY: None
* FREEBIE_CU1: FREE Game: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat
* FREEGAME_VC02: DarkSiders Game Coupon
* GLASSES: None
* HDD: 80 GB Intel X25-M 2.5 inch SATA Gaming MLC Solid State Disk [+120] (Single Hard Drive)
* HDD2: 1TB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [-23] (Single Hard Drive)
* IEEE_CARD: None
* KEYBOARD: None [-4]
* LANSURGE: None
* MB_ADDON: None
* MEMORY: 4GB (2GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory Module [-64] (A-Data Gaming Series with Heat Spreader [+16])
* MONITOR: None
* MONITOR2: None
* MONITOR3: None
* MOTHERBOARD: * (3-Way CrossFire Support) GigaByte GA-890FXA-UD5 AMD 890FX Chipset Support CrossFireX DDR3 Ultra Durable™3 Socket AM3 ATX Mainboard w/ 7.1 HD Audio, eSATA, Dual GbLAN, USB 3.0, SATA-III RAID, IEEE 1394, 4 Gen2 PCIe, 2 PCIe X1, & 1 PCI [+96]
* MOUSE: None [-3]
* MULTIVIEW: Non-SLI/Non-CrossFireX Mode Supports Multiple Monitors
* NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
* OS: Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Premium (64-bit Edition)
* POWERSUPPLY: * 850 Watts - CoolerMaster Silent Pro Gaming 80 Plus Power Supply [+102]
* RUSH: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 10~15 BUSINESS DAYS
* SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
* SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
* SPEAKERS: None [-5]
* TEMP: None
* TVRC: None
* USB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
* USBFLASH: None
* USBHD: None
* USBX: None
* VC_PHYSX: None
* VIDEO: AMD Radeon HD 6870 1GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card (Major Brand Powered by AMD)
* VIDEO2: None
* VIDEO3: None
* WNC: None
1) If/When I eventually crossfire the 6870's... do I need to initially choose the "Xtreme Performance in SLI/CrossFireX Gaming Mode Supports Single Monitor" option or leave it "Non-SLI/Non-CrossFireX Mode Supports Multiple Monitors"?
2)Future Proofing - Do you think all of the components would be a good 'base' to build on for a few years to come... primarily the motherboard. I read something regarding bulldozer processors, I wonder if they will work with the above motherboard?
3) Case vs. CPU Cooler - I assume the HAF 912 is wide enough to accommodate the huge cooler master V6? I wonder if I would have enough room to still be able to put a fan on the side of the case.
4) Fans - Speaking of fans, do you think it would be advisable to select the extra fan upgrade to install the maximum 120MM fans "1,000 RPM Black Color with No LED Enlobal Magnetic Barometric Bearing 17 dBA"? I know this case can hold two 200MM (I think that is the size) fans; however, being someone who has never worked on a computer I don't know if I want to attempt a fan install and it would potentially be easier to get them pre-installed.
5) Noise - I hear the case fans and GPU (not at load) are relatively quiet, but I hear the CPU cooler is generally pretty loud. I do wonder how 'loud' the Cooler master V6 actually is compared to the other components on the computer?
6) Sound - Just received some Audio-Technica M50's and I am currently running them with on-board sound. They seem to be just fine even though some people have mentioned an upgraded sound card makes decent headphones amazing. What do y'all think about on-board sound compared with a sound card... Asus Xonar DX for example.
7) Hard Drives - The Intel X25-M SSD... I read that it is stable, I read that it is a very good SSD, though not the fastest, but probably the most reliable. Being new to SSD's, what are the life spans on such drives compared to HDD's? Also, the SSD's speed when compared to HDD's... Do the SSD's have an noticeably faster load time than the HDD's and would you consider the SSD's worth the money?
8) Last question - GPU - The 6870... I know there are countless threads concerning the differences between the 6870 vs the 6950, but I was wondering the opinion of those that frequent this forum in this regard. I could probably squeeze the 6950 in the budget... do you think it would be worth going for the 6950 vs the 6870?
Other than these concerns, does the build look good as a first custom computer upon which to learn, build, and tinker as I enter the world of computer customization?
I apologize for the length of the discussion, but I am learning .
Received my system and had a few questions for those listening out there:
Here is a screen shot of my computer after running prime95 for 39 minutes without errors only reaching 30C on the 6 cores...
K, now to the questions:
1. The ram timings on the memory tab of CPU-Z show 11-11-11-29, but the SPD tab shows the timing tables at 9-9-9-24 (faster than what I currently run). Do you think I should increase the RAM timings in the bios (I assume it is relatively easy, but who knows)?
2. The 1090T CPU is supposed to be at 3.2GHZ and according to some other 1090T screen shots, they show a multiplier of x16... mine came sitting at x15. Do you think that would be a cause for concern or just an 'under performancing' cpu?
3. The BIOS is F3... do you think I should 'flash the bios' to F6?
4. On the CPUID HW Monitor, it is showing the TMPIN1 Temperature max at 92C, I wonder if that is the north bridge or what... I tried researching it a bit and I saw several people with that 'issue'... some mentioned it might be a 'glitch' in hw monitor, others said it was bad... who knows what to believe.
5. Which software do you think is the most accurate when telling the temperature of the cores? I don't like anything about the BIOS (haven't been into it yet... scared) so I am trying to stay away from it if possible you know what I mean?
I think those are all my questions, the computer runs awesome right now, no crashes, BSOD's, etc. I played Crysis with everything on Very High settings and 1900 x 1200 at 1080P... good times.