Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Tips on preventing ESD?

Last response: in Systems
December 20, 2010 2:26:50 AM

not 100% sure if this should go in this thread, but i figured it related to my first build....Ok I've been searching for over 2 hours on the best way to prevent ESD and there are A LOT of contradictory statements, some say plug the PSU into the wall but make sure the rocker switch is "off", others say DO NOT plug the PSU in at all, some say just touch the case, others say it needs to have the PSU plugged in, but off for the touching of the case to work, some say touch an unpainted surface on your case, but the problem there is mine is completely painted :/  I'm really confused, and would like a straight up answer to the best way to prevent this I will be starting my build tomorrow, and want everything to be ready and set up properly, I do not have anti-static wrist bands nor will I wastet the money buying them, so if anyone could give me any, even the the smallest amount of advice it would be greatly appreciated! thanks! :) 

Ryan

More about : tips preventing esd

December 20, 2010 2:35:35 AM

Simply touching the PSU while the switch is turned to off will eliminate any static.
m
l
December 20, 2010 2:40:11 AM

The PSU does have to plugged in correct?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

December 20, 2010 3:58:52 AM

Yep. Plug it in, but do not flip the switch to the "on" position (or w/e it's called). And then simply touch it.
December 20, 2010 12:14:05 PM

When I switch the PSU rocker switch to the "off" position does that mean that absolutely no power is going through it? So as I don't have to worry about doing any harm to the MoBo and such?
m
l
December 20, 2010 4:35:18 PM

Alright thank you!
m
l
December 20, 2010 4:35:38 PM

Best answer selected by ryzor1.
m
l
December 20, 2010 4:56:08 PM

Day late and a Dollar short, but for the benifit of others.

This is winter time in Northern hemisphere. The RH is low. If below 30 % I HIGHLY recommend a ESD wrist strap. You can generate rather high ESD and periodic touching the case is not the best. You can keep a hand on the case, but sometimes need both hands.

You do NOT need to phyically touch a component to damage it, as you also put out an E-M field, which your pinky can still do damage without touching or generating that arc. Case in point I've seen a couple of post where individulas have damaged there computers by discharging into the usb ports.

Just finished a recert class on ESD - ugh, only the 10 thousandth class.
m
l
!