PCIe 16x GTS 250 + PCI 8400 GS

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrD3a7h

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
I recently bought a PCI 8400 GS. I have an existing PCI Express 16x GTS 250, which currently drives both my monitors. I want to use the PCI 8400 GS to add a third monitor.

My problem begins after I installed the 8400. If I left that device bus enabled, neither card would work and Windows would default to a default VGA driver. If I disabled the PCI slot, my 250 would kick in properly and all would work well. I believe that I have an I/O or IRQ conflict since, well, it tells me so. Both of the device slots say "Code 12: Insufficient free resources to run this device". Any idea on how to fix this? I know that I've seen people run mismatched cards.

Things I've tried:
- Uninstalled nvidia drivers.
- Reinstalled nvidia drivers. Did not work since the installer could not see the cards, just the slots.
- Disabled PCI slot (in device manager). Made the 250 work, but the 8400 was disabled.
- Set PCI as primary video driver in BIOS
- Set PCI 16x as primary video driver in BIOS
- Updated BIOS.
- Set PCI as primary video driver in BIOS
- Set PCI 16x as primary video driver in BIOS
- Yelled at computer.
- Disabled random things in device manager.
- Fixed disabling of random things in device manager.
- Disabled PCI slot (in device manager). Made the 250 work, but the 8400 was disabled. This is were I am now so I get at least 2 monitors back.

System Specs:
Modded HP m9400t
Core 2 Quad Q6700 "Kentsfield" @2.7 gHz
4 GB PC6400 RAM @ 666mHz
MSI GTS 250 TwinFrozr OC @ 764mHz Core (tried latest drivers and previous drivers)
TV Card
500GB + 1TB WD Caviar Black Internal, 750 GB External
620 W Antec w/48A on 12v
IPIBL-LB. I couldn't find a real manual for this motherboard. Using the 5.39 BIOS update.
Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, fully updated

Any thoughts?

MrD3a7h

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
Interesting... if the PCI card is disabled, the PCI e 16x card takes a different IRQ assignment than when the PCI card is enabled.

I know there is someone out there that knows how to fix this. Hours of Googling has turned up nada.

4745454b

Titan
What does the PCI card conflict with? If its nothing important or nothing you use, disable it in the bios. For example, if it conflicts with the onboard firewire which you never use, just disable the firewire. You may need to disable something in the bios and then manually change things.

MrD3a7h

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010

The PCI is conflicting with the PCIe 16x. I've disabled all the non essential devices (sound, PCI, LAN) for testing purposes, and that didn't help.

This is my "fix" (disabling of PCI card to get the 250 to work). Arrow is pointing at disabled device.

34zdjt1.png

This is the issue. Arrows pointing at conflicting devices.

257p1ug.png

MrD3a7h

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010

Unfortunately, swapping cards isn't an option in this mATX case. Disabling of the pci bridge did not work, and I then tried disabling several devices to let them re-detect. Still no go.

Good suggestions, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.