Is it mobo, cpu or cpu fan at fault?

simonarturo

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2011
Hi, I was wondering where to find information related to my issue and this seemed to be the best place to do so.

After an electric surge that produced a blackout around my country, I found my pc turned off. I proceeded to turn it on and it went into post with no problem, i left it running for an hour or so while I was doing other things only to find it turned off again and the dreaded smell of burnt plastic in the air. It wouldn't boot from that moment on, and after clearing the smoke I determined the PSU to be the issue as it was the place where the burnt smell came from and there didn't seem to be any bulged capacitors in the mobo.

Anyway, I bought a new PSU (Corsair 750w enthusiast series) and installed it, when I tried to turn on the machine, everything worked correctly (case fans and lights, gpu fan, hard drive made a starting up sound) except for the CPU fan, which would not start, also nothing could be seen on the screen. It's as if the cpu didn't start up. With an electric tester I tried to look up the voltage in the mobo and it all checks out ok. When connecting other fans to the cpu fan connector in the mobo they run ok, but the actual cpu fan does not.

After all this, i'm trying to figure out one thing, whether the problem lies in the cpu fancooler or in the cpu itself, so my actual question is: can the processor (amd phenom ii x4 955BE, never OC'ed) run without the fancooler (which would mean that the cpu is dead) or does it have some sort of security feature that doesn't allow it to turn on if no heat-preventing measure is detected? (maybe that's a mobo feature). I'm betting on this last option, as I've seen that some motherboards won't boot if the cpu fan is not working, and it would be a lot cheaper to get one. While we're at that, what kind of third-party fancooler would work with my processor. Thanks!!

my rough specs are:

amd phenom ii x4 955BE default clocks
asus m4a79xtd evo motherboard
8gb ddr3 kingston 1600
ati radeon hd6950
samsung 500gb hdd
corsair 750w psu