Sign in with
Your question

Do any cheap cases meet this long criteria list?

Last response: in Components
March 15, 2011 1:36:24 PM

I’m trying to figure out what to get as a case for my 2nd computer.

I just bought the Raven 2 in January for my main system and absolutely love it (though actually now wish I got the Fortress for the looks), but I am looking for something different this time for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I don’t have as much space where this tower is going to sit as I did with the Raven, so it can’t be nearly as long. Secondly, the case is the one place I am hoping to save a LOT of money this time around.

The other components I’ve already selected are:

I5-2500k CPU (just gonna run stock cooler for now)
P8P67-M Pro Mobo
HD 6950 2GB GPU
XFX 750W PSU
8GB G.Skill 1600 memory
1TB Spinpoint F3 HDD
DVD Burner

I am looking for a case with the following features:
Black, including interior
USB and Audio ports on top rather than on front
All case fans already included
About 20” Long at most
A side case fan (if any) should be on the left as the right will likely be up against a wall
Enough expansion so I can put a 2nd 6950 in there at some point
Now how about this…. under $50? I’ll consider things priced higher if you have a good sales pitch as to why I should get it :) 

Any recommendations?
a b ) Power supply
March 15, 2011 3:26:04 PM

grab a sheet of sheet metal and make some, pop rivets are like 3$ for 60, look at the coolermaster cheaper cases new egg is ya best friend.
Related resources
March 15, 2011 5:06:35 PM

cia24 said:
grab a sheet of sheet metal and make some, pop rivets are like 3$ for 60, look at the coolermaster cheaper cases new egg is ya best friend.

Newegg has always been my best friend (sorry Jennifer, if you're reading this), and I've made many hundreds of purchases from there, yet as good as their "Advanced" and "Power" search engines are, they don't allow filtering on everything I need such as dimensions and interior colors, not to mention a useful way to filter by fans, which is why I turn to the forums for your subjective and objective opinions based on experience.

A few recommendations will get me seeking out reviews, and eventually I'll settle on something.

I like the Antec One Hundred so far.
a b ) Power supply
March 15, 2011 6:17:01 PM

Lol ill sell you my over sized rv01, after i get off work i will spend some time looking at cases that fit your wanted diminsions.
a c 266 ) Power supply
March 15, 2011 6:27:05 PM

Try the Antec 300 Illusion. For $10 more than the 100 you get 3 x 120mm and 1 x 140mm fans included.
March 16, 2011 11:43:20 AM

Right now I'm thinking the Rosewill Destroyer is my pick since it comes with 3 fans, has a black interior, is just $49.99 on Newegg, and has free shipping.

I might be willing to pay more for the Antec 300 Illusion if it wasn't for the gray interior, which I don't want to deal with painting. Is there a successor with a black interior?
March 16, 2011 12:36:13 PM

There isn't. Antec 300 only comes with silver, it's a budget gaming case.

The CM 690 II Advanced would be your best bet if you can find it on sale. I've seen them go for as low as $60 and i haven't looked at the depth on them, but off hand it should be ok, the only reason the RV02 is so long is cause it's really a fulltower on it's back.
March 16, 2011 1:35:46 PM

I love my RV02, and I can't fault its length - the only case that I think could top it would be the Fortress 2, just because its a bit more stylish, but rotating the motherboard 90 degress is one of the best advancements in PC cases in years in my opinion, and I'm surprised Silverstone is still the only manufacturer doing it.

Hmm, the CM 690 II Advanced is interesting. I really like the look of it. I'd have to find it on sale. Right now it's $40 more than the Rosewill Destroyer if I include shipping. Thanks for the suggestion though. Definitely my top two considerations for now.
a c 275 ) Power supply
March 16, 2011 2:49:11 PM

moogleslam said:
Right now I'm thinking the Rosewill Destroyer is my pick since it comes with 3 fans, has a black interior, is just $49.99 on Newegg, and has free shipping.

I might be willing to pay more for the Antec 300 Illusion if it wasn't for the gray interior, which I don't want to deal with painting. Is there a successor with a black interior?

I'd still go with either an Antec 100 or a CM 690 which are much higher quality.
Here's a recent purchaser with Rosewill buyers regret.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tom...
a b ) Power supply
March 18, 2011 12:45:03 AM

moogleslam said:

I am looking for a case with the following features:
Black, including interior
USB and Audio ports on top rather than on front
All case fans already included
About 20” Long at most
A side case fan (if any) should be on the left as the right will likely be up against a wall
Enough expansion so I can put a 2nd 6950 in there at some point

You call that a long list?

I listed 20 specific features when I was looking a HTPC case. A relatively low price was #20 and that was the only thing on my wish list that I could not fulfill.
March 20, 2011 3:43:47 AM

Challenger is very very good, good air, acceptable fans, cheap doesn't show.
Love mine. Comes with filters too.
FWIW Yate Loon fans are very good and most reasonable.
March 21, 2011 2:35:10 AM

Antec 300 for around $60 on sale rates very well.
Don't know how dated a Sonata Proto Quiet would be 8.1"W 18.2D 16.7H seen at $60.
Sentey Optimus GS6000R 4 FANS 7.48W 19D 18H ABOUT $50 if its the same one I saw reviews on.
Joker
NZXT M59 $50

Still like my Challenger..

March 21, 2011 7:50:59 PM

Another possibility Zalman Z9 is $50 w $10 shipping and $10 rebate.
Z9 Plus is $70 w free shipping and $10 rebate
Z7 IS $70 w $20 shipping
And the beat goes on..
!