HTPC Restarting - no clue why, plz help

banolka

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010
Hi everyone,

I have the following problem. I made a HTPC with:

MB: Gigabyte GA-H55N-USB3
CPU: Intel Core i3/540 @ 3.06GHz BOX cooling
RAM: 2x 2GB Kingston KVR1333D3N9K2/4G - Kingston 2X2GB 1333MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 DIMM (Kit of 2) Settings 9-9-9-24
GPU: On board Intel Graphic card
HDD: 1x OCZ Vertex SOLID SERIES SATA II 2.5" 30GB SSD
1x Samsung 1,5 TB (HD154UI)
Case: Mini ITX In-Win BP 655, 200W PSU

I expirience a strange problem with this build. After some time system freezes and shutsdown imidietly. At first I thought that it is due to the system so I was running Linux from USB stic for few hours and making a resize of partition after approxymatly 6-8 hours I expirienced a shutdown also. PSU should be sufficient since I run intensive AE render for 6 minutes wichich was completed secesfuuly and the system was @ 100% CPU usage and 100% RAM usage all time, with no error. Then sudenly closed AE and run XBMC and expirenced a crash. Later I run computer smotthly for 2 hours opened sab nzb downloaded few linux distros and expirrienced another crash

Note the same thing happens with and without the case cover.

Any suggestions what is wrong?

No symptoms really jump out as obvious, so, we'll proceed to rule out any potential glitches/flukes during install...

Clear your OS drive and storage drive, and start over. See if GigaByte has any updated chipset drivers for you MB....

If still not stable, we will work from there.

doive1231

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2007
Just run with the SSD, not the HDD as well and see how it goes. Go with 1 stick of RAM for a while etc.

Why did you buy 4Gb of RAM and 32-bit Windows 7? Don't think your computer can use all the memory.

Nice build however. Was thinking of going mini-ITX also.