Hd 5770 cant get past 960 core speed?

lindseyhunt1090

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
hello. ive been overclocking for a wile and have had good success. running a amd 945 x4 at 3.8ghz stable (watercooled plus heatsink/fan) i have a decent setup. msi mother board that allows me to do lots of over clocking.

ive ran into a problem.. im running an xfx hd5770. im using msi afterburner and everything is unlocked on it.. i cant get my 5770s speeds past what ati over drive alows me to.. i have my card running at 960/1440mhz completely stable and running in the low 60s for temps. played lots of games no problems.. ive seen lots of people running core speeds over 1100 on them.. not that i want to go that high.. but i like tweaking stuff and playing with things.. when im using amd over drive as soon as i try to go past 960 core speed.. it crashes.. i use msi kombuster and it just says unstable at 5 to 20% through the test.. i tried upping the voltage to 1.2 - 1.3 volts and it crashes. it seems right after what ati over drive alows me to do it crashes and as soon as i go anymore then about .5 of a volt it crashes. i dont understand..

could it have anything to do with what i overclocked in my mother board? i lowerd my dram and north bridge frequencies to allow me to run a multiplier of 15 and bus speed of 240mhz and not over clock the dram and northbridge to much past stock specs. i also raised my cpu voltage as well. the only thing i did that maybe has to do with the graphics card is i put my pci-e frequency from 100 to 110.. thats all..

pcie frequency does not affect gpu frequency. leave it at stock settings. It only affects the bandwidth of the slot, which that card wouldnt even use half of. but I would say, you have reached the limit of the card. Use Furmark, its a better stress test IMO. It will make the card produce more heat than it ever would during a game.

lindseyhunt1090

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
changed the pci frequency and get the card stable at 970. but the fps were lowere by around 4 frames per second on my bench program. so i changed the pci frequency back to 110 and set the core clock to 960. those are my best results.