Sign in with
Your question

Make it look nice!

Last response: in Systems
December 20, 2010 10:18:10 AM

Hey all,

Now I love to make things look nice, and I want to make my rig as clean and neat as possible. I want to go for a blue/black interior look to support the theme of the motherboard. Herein lies my problem.

NOTE: I am from Australia so keep this in mind and dont just search newegg, as they don't ship overseas.

My current build is this:
MOBO - ASUS P6X58D-E Motherboard
CPU - Intel i7-950
RAM - MUSHKIN 998826 - 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800 6-8-6-24 Ridgeback
GFX - Sapphire Radeon HD6850 Toxic Edition 1GB (Plan to buy +1 for XF in March)
PSU - Corsair AX750 Gold Power Supply OR Corsair HX750 Professional Power Supply
HDD - Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB HD103SJ
SSD (For O/S) - OCZ Vertex 2 60GB E Series SSD
DVD - Samsung SH-B123A Blu-ray DVD
CASE - Antec Nine Hundred Two V3
CPUCOOLER - Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler
REARFAN - Noctua NF-P12 120mm Fan

So I'm pretty much set in what parts I want for my PC, just currently waiting for a possible? price drop after Sandy Bridge is relased.

It is easy to grab some blue/black cable sleeving online and sort out my cable management so that's all accounted for. My main problem is the Noctua fans and my PSU. Obviously the beige/brown fans will not necessarily "fit-in" with my ideal setup. Are there any other fans that may be blue-finned that are of similar performance (2x120mm 1x140mm)?
And now I need help deciding whether to get the AX-750 or HX-750. Obviously by looking at it you can see one has gold print, the other blue. Is there any downside to taking the HX-750 in order to make the case look better?

I read an article here , scoot down to phase 4. Those neon strips are badass. They run off 4-Pin and give just that little bit of glow (blue ofc!) that I so sorely want for my case. But I can't find them anywhere. (Yes I'm aware they source from "Tweakmonster" in their article, went on website, no blue available.)
Anybody know where I can get this sort of "Neon-Tape" product from? Its amazing, as I feel like cold cathodes are too bulky and at times, looks terrible out of place.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can give!

More about : make nice

December 20, 2010 11:26:51 AM

Before I even finished the article, I noted that the chiller was going to suck. Do you already have the Noctua? The fans, though ugly, are really good. I have seen reviews where other fans were used on the same heatsink, and the results were not as good. Have you bought it already? Consider instead, buy a Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B CPU Cooler. It comes with the heatsink only - buy the fan of your choice to accompany it. This is a highly rated heat sink, and is comparable to the Noctua.

Not sure where to purchase fans in Australia - got suggestions for sites?

The better looking PSU is just fine - get it.

The light strip looks very nice. Unforunatly, the only place I found it was on E-Bay, which probably cannot be shipped to Australia. Sorry. Maybe Tweakmonster would be able to tell you when they will have another production run? It is worth a try.

m
l
December 20, 2010 12:03:42 PM

Hey thanks man, I knew about the Megahalems RevB but I completely forgot about it and was all on the Noctua train (well it is arguably the best air cooling solution atm). I want to overclock my i7 to 4Ghz, so will hopefully only need ~1.35 V and I guess 1-2 degrees difference by picking Megahalems will not cause me too many problems. I think only when you go above 4Ghz that heat and voltage become more of an issue? This will be my first time overclocking.

This is good as its actually saving me some cash cutting the Noctua and the AX750.

In the interior of the case, I need 4 fans that are blue bladed and black frame (120mm). I just stumbled across these Silverstone Suscool's, what are your thoughts?

:) 
m
l
Related resources
December 20, 2010 9:11:51 PM

Those fans look very quiet. There should be adequate airflow with 4 of them.

I have an i7-920, and it starts to heat up around 3.8 Ghz. My everyday overclock is 3.3 GHz.

In the recent Tom's $2000 build, they used the same cooler/cpu and went over 4 GHz. Recommend reading this.

m
l
December 21, 2010 12:20:28 AM

Quote:
I'd get the nVidia GTX570 and not the ATi HD6850 for it's slightly cheaper and a better performer..

I don't understand this as the 6850's are about $250 and the GTX570's about $450. Keep in mind that I plan to get another 6850 and crossfire them, as they scale quite well. Is there any reason why I shouldn't do this?

I like the look of those Silverstones, anybody else have any suggestions that fit in with what I want :D 

Still unable to find those lightstrips.. Anybody else have any luck?
m
l
December 21, 2010 1:58:13 AM

I bought the light strip I saw on E-Bay - want me to send it to you?
m
l
December 21, 2010 2:30:24 AM

Rude. :non: 
m
l
!