Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Price drops on nvidia now I cant decide

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
October 23, 2010 4:58:22 AM

I was going to buy a gtx 260 and then Nvidia dropped the prices on the gtx 460 and the 470 and now the gtx 470 is in my price range and I know gtx is a hot card and needs a lot of power but I have an open air setup and mounted on the other side of the wall of the room next to mine so heat and noise is not a problem, I the gtx 460
over clocked cards are close to the gtx 470 but I want every ounce of performance I can get I will run games like metro2033,crysis, lost planet 2 to GTA 4 and will go with EVGA for the life time warranty,I am thinking of going for the gtx470 at $259.00 but I guess I just need that push, thanks for all you help.

U2410 Dell 24in 1920x1200 monitor

Q6600 3.6 Ghz
GIGABYTE P45 Motherboared 1pci- E slot
4 GB ram
Radeon HD 4890 1 GB video card
2xkingston V series 64GB SSD in raid0
1 Seagate 500 G B 7200.12 hard drive
ZALMAN 9700 cpu cooler
LITEON DVD drive
800 power supply
October 23, 2010 7:28:07 AM

Ya I'm thinking of getting the 470 myself. Just not sure if my corsair 620 watt power supply can handle it or not. I'm concerned tho that nvidia has something up their sleeve. Like a cooler better 470 coming out or something.

jigalig said:
I was going to buy a gtx 260 and then Nvidia dropped the prices on the gtx 460 and the 470 and now the gtx 470 is in my price range and I know gtx is a hot card and needs a lot of power but I have an open air setup and mounted on the other side of the wall of the room next to mine so heat and noise is not a problem, I the gtx 460
over clocked cards are close to the gtx 470 but I want every ounce of performance I can get I will run games like metro2033,crysis, lost planet 2 to GTA 4 and will go with EVGA for the life time warranty,I am thinking of going for the gtx470 at $259.00 but I guess I just need that push, thanks for all you help.

U2410 Dell 24in 1920x1200 monitor

Q6600 3.6 Ghz
GIGABYTE P45 Motherboared 1pci- E slot
4 GB ram
Radeon HD 4890 1 GB video card
2xkingston V series 64GB SSD in raid0
1 Seagate 500 G B 7200.12 hard drive
ZALMAN 9700 cpu cooler
LITEON DVD drive
800 power supply

Score
0
a c 189 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
October 23, 2010 7:47:08 AM

Since your current card is HD4890, then why you don't go for HD5970? or HD5870 at least, because your current card is still fast enough even for today standard (take a side that 4890 is a HOT card).
If you can handle with the heat of 4890 then i'm pretty sure you will be fine with GTX470 or GTX480 inside your case...
Score
0
Related resources
October 23, 2010 8:50:25 AM

Thanks for the reply,I never had a nvidia card and it always seams that most game are
optimized for nvida cards and with ATI there is always some weird driver quark in
games like in farcry 2only in DX10 I have to cap the frames at 35 or I get micro stutter
with every ATI card I use, and I mounted my PC on to the wall its not in a case so it get plenty of air thanks again.

Score
0
October 23, 2010 1:08:57 PM

your PSU can do it, go ahead, the price may or may not last.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
October 23, 2010 4:54:24 PM

cirslevin said:
your PSU can do it, go ahead, the price may or may not last.


The price drop was in response to ATI releasing the better performing 6870 series at an even lower price - so chances are it will last or even go lower soon !
Score
0
October 23, 2010 5:14:13 PM

JDFan said:
The price drop was in response to ATI releasing the better performing 6870 series at an even lower price - so chances are it will last or even go lower soon !

thats true only if NV and board makers can afford it.

Fermi isn't cheap to make after all.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
October 23, 2010 6:01:31 PM

I have the 4890. Its actually a very cool card, MUCH cooler than the rest of 4xxx. Very capable. The 470 isnt a very good deal now. Barely outperforms the 6870, and you have all the heat and power nonsense. Id say wait for Cayman perhaps? 4890 is a very capable card. It should easily last a few more weeks. a 6950 might be the way to go. But if you want a card NOW, i say get a 6850 and OC it.
Score
0
October 23, 2010 8:19:39 PM

Thanks again for the reply,the 4890 is still a strong card but my card is about to crap out and this is the vaper x card and its my second time I sent it back and warranty will be up in a few months, for around 250.00 or so would the gtx470 be faster and ma be if I over clock it. thanks guys.
Score
0
October 23, 2010 8:49:34 PM

I just saw some benchmarks and it looks like the 6870 is on par with the nvidia 470.

I don't know it just seems like a bad time to buy a video card with all the sand kicking going on right now. I'm thinking of waiting until things get settled again and then buy. I have a 8800gtx 512MB I think it is. I want to see what the AMD high end cards look like. The 69xx series due to come out next month.



jigalig said:
Thanks again for the reply,the 4890 is still a strong card but my card is about to crap out and this is the vaper x card and its my second time I sent it back and warranty will be up in a few months, for around 250.00 or so would the gtx470 be faster and ma be if I over clock it. thanks guys.

Score
0
October 23, 2010 9:09:44 PM

6870 is 7% slower than 470. It does consume half the power and has >3 display eyefinity setup.
Score
0
October 24, 2010 3:18:33 AM

Well I ordered the GTX470 from new egg hope I made a good decision, I will add some extra fans around it and and try to over clock it and hopefully I can make use of the CUDA stuff wonder if I need pure video to decode HD video or will Applications like VLC player make use of the card without pure video. Thanks to everyone for all your help.
Score
0
October 24, 2010 3:19:56 AM

Best answer selected by jigalig.
Score
0
a c 271 U Graphics card
a c 171 Î Nvidia
October 24, 2010 3:29:34 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
0
!