Z68 vs x79?

okey... so im about to buy a new pc and everything... processor i7 2600k 8gb bla bla... gaming of course... my question is... what should i buy?.... a z68 mobo or a x79 mobo and what brand?
4 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware
  1. Z68 ofcoarse, X79 is not of the right socket.

You need a LGA1155 socket for the I7 2600K.

So Z68 or P67.

Any good brand, Asus, Asrock, Gigabyte etc.
  2. 13mpty said:
    okey... so im about to buy a new pc and everything... processor i7 2600k 8gb bla bla... gaming of course... my question is... what should i buy?.... a z68 mobo or a x79 mobo and what brand?

what are your current pc specs?
    what is your budget?
    sb-e and x79 offer native support for pcie 3.0(untested), 40+ lanes of pcie 2(3.0 untested), quad channel ram, 2-4 gpu cfx or sli, at least dual card sli/cfx at x16, more oc option than regular lga 1155 sandy bridge. sb-e also delivers better multithreaded performance than sb in cases where heavy multi tasking or highly threaded applications are concerned.
    mainstream sb and z68 offer limited oc (only with multiplier) with k series cpus, has quick sync support, dual channel ram, 16 pcie 2.0 lanes from cpu and 8 more from z68 chipset.
    sb-e and x79 do not offer a lot of performance advantage in gaming over sb and z68 right now. pcie 2 cards cannot saturate gen 2 bandwidth. so you should be fine with dual cards at x8+x8 configuration. sb-e processors and x79 motherboards cost a lot more than sb. iirc i7 3930k is $500+ and core i5 is $220 right now. the prices can change anytime, though. what i mean is, you can pay much less and still get a lot of performance out of sandy bridge i5 or i7 with z68.
  3. wow... okey xD... ty

so now... what would be the best z68 mobo for gaming?
  4. 13mpty said:
    wow... okey xD... ty

so now... what would be the best z68 mobo for gaming?

here are two round up articles of z68 motherboards at two different price range:
    From $100 To $160: Five Z68-Based Boards, Compared
    Round-Up: Four Z68 Motherboards From $220 To $280
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Gaming Intel i7 Processors Product