Sign in with
Your question

Can i install 2 different ram brands..?? plzzzzzzzz help

Last response: in Memory
November 21, 2011 6:52:27 AM

Hey guyz i have a problem... i have a gamming rig..which is not so powerfull ...i brought it last year...i had purchased 4 gigs of crossiar ram ..ie ddr2 ... now i wanna increase my ram ..but i cannot get the same ram modules in the market ..i had purchased corssiar xms2 ..and it is not available ..is it ok to use another 4gb of ram but from another company ie transand etc...??? .. will it screw up my machine or ram or anyother thing ....plz help .. let me know if u want more info on my machine ..thankx in advance...
a c 128 } Memory
November 21, 2011 11:26:17 AM

I don't recommend it. 4 gb is plenty for most tasks. If you want to change, get a new board with ddr3, which is running about $22 after rebate this weekend where I live for 2 x 4 gb kits.
m
l
November 21, 2011 1:56:17 PM

i would say no, you can but i think i would be around the same speed as you started. i had 2 x 1gb with different moduals it was slow now changed to the same its a lot faster at tasks.

m
l
Related resources
November 21, 2011 3:10:26 PM

Do you have a 32 bit or 64 bit OS? 32 bit OS will limit you to ~3.5 GB RAM.
m
l
December 6, 2011 4:52:50 AM

Yes you can install two different brands of ram in a computer.
But it depends on your motherboards as well. Some motherboards can support both types of RAMs DDR1 and DDR2. But sometimes using DDR1 and DDR2 at same time can cause damage to motherboard.
Also if the speeds of the two rams are different it will not give as much as performance as two RAMs which has same speed.
m
l
December 6, 2011 7:43:40 AM

my boards supports only ddr2 ... model no is GA-MA790GP-UD4H ...i will get da new rams of da same frequency bt of a different company...eg transand ... so it will work as ... crossiar xms2 wid transand ... ???? is dat ok or will it dammage my crossiar ram or mobi...???
m
l
December 10, 2011 5:18:46 PM

reuel cardozo_47 said:
my boards supports only ddr2 ... model no is GA-MA790GP-UD4H ...i will get da new rams of da same frequency bt of a different company...eg transand ... so it will work as ... crossiar xms2 wid transand ... ???? is dat ok or will it dammage my crossiar ram or mobi...???

i have crossiar xms2 ram is well used ram. should not be a problem finding some more ram of the same speeds. you can use diffo speeds that your mobo will supports but its really not worth doing it would not be better or faster than what you have. just look out for the same ram that you have.
two diffo speed modules i would stay away from. by the way not bad choice of board and ram. :sol: 

m
l
!