First PC Build Gaming Rig

adrove

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010
Hello everyone, my name is shady. Im new to this website and pc building. I really want to build a gaming rig/multimedia production computer. I know about some things while some others require you guys help me ( thus why i am here ).

First off what this PC is going to be used for from MOST to LEAST: Gaming,Video/Multimedia editing,3D motion graphics,Photo editing(photoshop),Surfing the web,homework

Preferred Sites: Newegg, Frys

CPU:
For the cpu i might go with a Phenom II 1035t/1090t Black Edition 6x. Although i might switch to a 950 i7 Quad Core (for $60 dollars more) although i dont know how this would effect the system.

GPU:
For the graphics card im going with an ATI Radeon 5770 (or less/more) but you guys can still recommend me a different video card. I will want to be playing Call of Duty 4 at max settings and maybe MW2 and CSS. Also if i get this video card what kind of power supply should i get? and what PSU should i get if i will be switching to dual GPUs in the future?

PSU:
I have no idea. I want it to support my system (obviously) and allow me to add another video card in the future.

Memory:
I already have 2x 2GB Patriot 4-4-4-12 800Mhz DDR2. Although i might take some 8GB or 6GB recommendations.

Motherboard:
I have no idea. Ive herd Asus is good but dont know where to start. I guess you guys can recommend one based on what i said above.

Casing:
Something that can keep my PC cool at all times. Preferably with in an intake and exhaust fan. I also want the side to be clear with neon lights ( for the cool look )

CPU cooler:
also have no idea where to start. I heard Corsair is good. I need something to cool my CPU and cool it well.

Hard drive:
500gb+ is good. I will not use over 1TB though.

DVD writer/burner:
Anything that i can buy with remaining money as i have an external one.

Display/Keyboard/Mouse:
I already have all of these, and my display is 1920x1080.

Windows 7 Home Premium/Professional. ive seen them for $100- around websites

Im guessing thats all i need. Tell me if i missed something. Anyways with your guys help id probably be done soon. Thanks!

CPU--it is easy to be seduced by raw clockspeed and number of cores with the Phenom II/6 core series; yet the fact remains, unless you plan on running lots of multithreaded apps at one time, even the midrange ($200-300) INtel cpus in i5/i7 series of socket 1156 cpus usually outperform the Phenoms handily, and at less clockspeed. Call it 80% in favor of Intel, albeit at slightly more money. I am a fan of AMD chips, but, a huge variety of benchmarks simply don't lie.

GPU--review the benchmarks of the latest 6950 and GTX460/GTX570 cards, and choose according to your pricerange and desired performance...; if you intend to game at merely 1280x1024, you can get by with less card, but, if at 1080P or above, I'd start my GPU shopping with the GTX570 or 6970 if possible, even if I needed to save money initially by salvaging older drives from old systems to get started.

PSU---better to have 100-150 watts to spare *always*...I'd recommend at least a quality Antec 650 watt PSU if you can swing it.

MB--Asus, GIgabyte, Asrock----1156 Intel chipset, and you should be good! (find a newer one with USB3/SATA 6 gb support...)

Good luck w/ your build

adrove

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010

So your saying i should go with the i7 950 Quad core? what should i use to cool it? and how about if i go with a 750 watt PSU

The i5/i7 cpus in socket 1156 routinely outframe the fastest AMD processors, even at less clockspeed. Choose whichever i5/i7 quad core socket 1156 cpu your budget can handle, but, for gaming, the gpu is nearly always the largest performance variable, especially at above 1600x1200 or even higher res settings such as 1080P....

adrove

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010

So what would be a GPU that is good under $200? ( i can go up to $250 max.)
I will be using a 750 PSU for sure

jedi940

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
All the latest chipsets require DDR3 memory so your current DDR2 memory will not be compatible. You will have to buy new RAM.

If only gaming, I would also recommend an intel processor. They just seem to be consistently faster. Also, Adobe software seems to like intel processors better.

For motherboards, ASUS, Gigabyte and ASRock are all good brands listed in my personal order of preference although I seem to end up with more Gigabyte boards then ASUS for some reason. Make sure that the appropriate crossfire or SLI is supported. Some motherboards support both but many only support one. Whichever it supports, make sure you buy the appropriate graphics card.

RAM - any decent 4 GB set will be fine (GSkill, Corsair, A-data, OCZ) i have used all these brands with no problem.

For a PSU I recommend looking at Corsair, Antec and Seasonic brands. They all have great offerings. For dual graphics cards, I would look for around an 850W to be on the safe side.

Also, what is your budget? given your parts selection, I would guess around $1000? That will help us narrow down an exact parts list.

adrove

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010

around $800; $50 give or take. and yes i was just looking at 6GB DDR3 Memory for about $80 so i will go with that.