Cannot get online after reformatting.. HELP PLEASE

superrambo

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
Hello all

I reformatted my desktop recently and the internet does not work at all on it. I can access my wireless internet fine from my laptop but my desktop cannot get internet at all.

Some info:
-Running windows XP home edition
-Comcast cable internet. I have a vonage router and a wireless router connected to the modem.
-Wireless internet works fine and laptop can get online fine if i directly connect it to the modem
-desktop cannot obtain any ip address
-I tried to connect the desktop directly to the modem but internet still won't work.

If anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it.. I am pretty sure that it is a computer problem and not something with my internet

G

Have you run the Network Wizard ?

If you have, also check TCP/IP Properties.

Start, Connect To, Connection, Properties, Scroll Down TCP/IP and highlight, click Properties and check that Obtain DNS and IP address automatically are enabled.

Not necessarily an issue but it makes sense to turn off firewall in the desktop until you solve this.

I assume from what you say (or don't say) that you are not using wireless on the desktop. If you are , turn off wireless security in the router. Also check that Access List (admit or bar by MAC ID) is not activated in the router.