Will Cpu types other than those listed here work in my motherboard?

TerryKennedy

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
Socket: AM2
Supports the following processors:
Athlon 64 X2 with Dual Core technology up to 5600+ (up to 89 watt)
Athlon 64 less than 4000+
Sempron less than 3800+

Motherboard specs:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01080282&lc=en&cc=ca&dlc=en&product=3445425

Motherboard: M2N68-LA (Narra2)
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ 2.1ghz
RAM: 2 Gbs of DDR2
Video Card: XFX 9800 GT
Power Supply: Ultra 650 watt
Hard Drive: Samsung 289 Gb

According to my motherboard specifications, processors supported are up to Athlon 64 X2 5600+ under 89 watts, but I want to know is can any processor under 89 watts and can fit in an AM2 socket work here? Say a AMD Athlon II X2 240 Dual Core Processor, I know AM3 processors fit in the AM2 socket, and this particular cpu is under 89 watts.

Solution
You've got an old board in an HP, although an Athlon II X2 would fit in your socket, it won't work. The motherboards BIOS won't recognize the processor, and likely it won't work. There is also a possibility it will work, but remain at 800mhz clock speed(some Phenom II X4 chips do this without a BIOS update). OEM manufacturers rarely update their motherboards BIOS to support new processors, they would rather you purchase a new computer from them.

loneninja

Distinguished
You've got an old board in an HP, although an Athlon II X2 would fit in your socket, it won't work. The motherboards BIOS won't recognize the processor, and likely it won't work. There is also a possibility it will work, but remain at 800mhz clock speed(some Phenom II X4 chips do this without a BIOS update). OEM manufacturers rarely update their motherboards BIOS to support new processors, they would rather you purchase a new computer from them.

Solution