ABIT KN9S + 4GB Geil DDR2 = Windows freeze

Hi all!

Specs:
Motherboard: Abit KN9S
CPU: Athlon 64 X2 5200+ (cooled with Akasa Venom Voodoo)
RAM: 4x Geil 1GB PC2-6400 DDR2-800 (4-4-4-12, 2.1V) (GX22GB6400UDC)
Power: OCZ Mod-Extreme Pro 600W
Graphics: Asus GeForce GTX 560Ti DirectCUII
Storage: OCZ SSD 64GB + WD 2TB HDD
Other bits: SATA DVD burner, Card reader

I have a KN9S motherboard with an Athlon 64 x2 5200+ I'm trying to get ready to overclock. Before I do that I want to get the 4GB of memory working.

I had 2GB of this Geil memory. I also have a single 2GB stick of Kingston value RAM. The three sticks play nicely together and I have 4GB of working RAM. However, the Kingston only works at 1.8V. So I got hold of two more identical Geil sticks at a reasonable cost, so that I could run the memory at the speed it wants to run at.

I subjected the new (and old) Geils to rigorous MemTest86++ tests and all was fine. However, when running in Windows, it doesn't take long before the system freezes. One time there was a bluescreen, a couple of times the machine simply reset, but all other times it is a freeze. It seems to work okay in safe mode. Twice it has frozen after running an Orthos test for both CPU and RAM. As soon as I clicked the button to stop the test it froze the machine.

I checked the BIOS and set the RAM to run at 2.1V, and then 1.8V, and set the timings to 4-4-4-12 and also tried Auto for everything. Nothing seems to stop the RAM from freezing Windows.

Bit mystified by this. Any pointers greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
3 answers Last reply
More about abit kn9s geil ddr2 windows freeze
  1. 4 gb do not work nicely together in 3 slots on most boards and different voltage specs. I would sell the 2 gb stick and get another identical 2 x 1 gb to match your geil. If you can't find geil, get a 2x2gb kit instead and sell the geil also. I've found 2x2gb kits of ddr2 as low as $30 on craigslist.
  2. Thanks. Maybe I wasn't clear - I have managed to procure an extra identical 2x1GB Geil memory. It is the identical sticks that are problematic. When I run all 4 1GB Geil sticks, that's when I get the freezes.

The 2x1GB Geil + 1x2GB Kingston configuration works great, but is less than ideal from the perspective of running the Geil at full whack or higher.
  3. My bad. Must be the 2.1 voltage setting your board doesn't like. Check the "spread spectrum" setting in the bios and change it. Only two options: enable and disable. Can't hurt to try.
Ask a new question

Read More

Geil Motherboards