Sign in with
Your question

2 routers, 3 pc's, 2 ps3's, 1 Wii, all 1 homegroup? HELP

Last response: in Networking
June 9, 2010 11:46:17 PM

Ok so heres the situation. I have Verizon Fios Internet (35mb down/ 20mb up) and HAVE to use their router (In my girl's walk-in closet in the bedroom) because the tv data runs through it as well..... so I'm told. Thats all fine, until I want to use my wireless devices. I have a Linksys Cisco router, which has great wireless, that is hooked up in my game room and connects to the 1st port on the Verizon router. I currently have my pc and ps3 (game room) wired into the Linksys and my girl's laptop and a Wii(downstairs) running wireless from it. The Verizon router has my girl's school pc(no wireless card) wired into the 2nd port and her ps3 (Both in bedroom) running wireless as well as my roommates laptop. My pc and her laptop are running Win7 Ult. x64 and her school pc is running Win7 Ult. x86.

Currently I have My pc, her laptop and my ps3 in the same homegroup. I would like to have her school pc and ps3, not worried about the Wii, in the homegroup as well without switching routers. However, when I try to add her school pc and ps3 to my homegroup I can't find an option to join, only create a new homegroup.

I don't know much in this field, so any help in the simplest form of directions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time and help.
June 13, 2010 4:03:32 AM

You normally join a domain, not a workgroup. What happens if you assign your workgroup to her PC and PS3?
m
l
June 13, 2010 7:02:54 AM

Here's a picture of how everything is setup :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51075930@N07/4694901855/

I just need the ps3's, pc's and laptop to be all on the same network, so I can share files between all of them, and be able to print from any of them to the printer hooked up to her school pc ( because it always stays on ). The devices on one router are not seeing/finding the devices on the other router, I'm not given the option to join a homegroup, only create one, either way I try it. I've read posts similar but they were way over tech for me. If someone could explain it, kind of step by step, that would be awesome. How do I fix this?
m
l
Related resources
June 13, 2010 12:33:13 PM

Can you clarify the following as your drawing doesn't show how routers are configured/connected:

1. What is the the Verizon's DHCP range?
2. I presume that the Cisco is connected to the Verizon through its Internet port. Is that port static or dynamic?

The Verizon has to know how to route traffic to the other router. Do you have control on that router's configuration?
m
l
June 13, 2010 9:16:45 PM

1. Not sure what DHCP is.....
2. Yes the Cisco is connected via ethernet run through the walls and connected to the #1 internet port on the Verizon router.

I have complete access and control over both routers and their configuration, just need to know how to configure it all. The picture was just to show where things are and how they are connected, I have not configured anything in either router other than the WEP passwords.
m
l
June 13, 2010 9:28:32 PM

DHCP is what provides an IP address to the PCs and the PS3s when they connect to the router. What are the IP addresses of your PC and her school PC? If they both are in the same network, then you definitely have some serious issues. As an example, if your PC connected to the Cisco has IP address 192.168.1.x and her PC connected to the Verizon also has IP address 192.168.1.x, then it just won't work. Please check both routers and provide the starting DHCP address and the number of addresses which will give me the DHCP range. Then I'll tell you how to configure the Cisco router to resolve your issue.
m
l
!