Need case recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toxic72

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
I'm gearing up to buy a new computer soon (early May), and I decided to drop the SSD from the build (seemed a bit pricey for just making games load faster).

Previously, I had a Cooler Master 912+ picked out as the case to be used, but now that I freed up $100, the case budget is going up a bit.

The budget is around $150 right now, and I would like it to have a side window (big one), and really good cable management (I'm a neat freak). Some of the $100 Lian Li cases look pretty nice, but I was just curious to see if you guys had any other choices that you would like to vouch for.

Thanks in advance.

Solution

The latest thing that is happening right now with SSD's is the speed increase to take advantage of SATA III speeds. These are just coming to market now. As they do, you can expect the current drives running at SATA II speeds to come down in price. There is always a "next big thing" so most of us live with obsolete equipment. :)

I have been using a 40gig boot drive since last January and I don't regret my purchase. However I do wish I'd had more money...
D

Deleted member 217926

Antec 1200 or DF 85. HAF 932 or HAF X are all great full towers with plenty of room and great cooling. I have a 1200 but if I was buying today I would get a DF 85 just for the cool features like hot swappable SSD bays.

I'm going to play devil's advocate here. While a quality case is important , I think you're dismissing the SSD a little to quickly. Load times for games will probably be better for the games you load on the SSD, but overall system responsiveness is what we're really after here. There are many ways an SSD can increase system performance, too many to mention but it would be the single most dramatic speed increase from a like system with a conventional hard drive. Its because access times are brought from a few milliseconds to almost nothing. No mechanical arm to swing and no platters to spin, its going to make a world of difference. Most folks without an SSD are naysayers, folks with SSD's are BELIEVERS! You won't regret making room in your budget for one.

I like the suggestions given above for cases. All very nice. The HAF cases are very good. Antec always makes nice cases, I love my 900 but its getting a bit dated. If not for the window requirement, I'd recommend the NZXT Phantom. I'm actually cutting a window into THAT one so that should be pretty sweet.

The advantage of the Lian-Li cases is there are a lot of custom parts you can order for serious modders, including side panels, windows, fans, brackets etc. Otherwise I think they tend to be a bit overpriced for most folks. Also, if you do need parts- even screws- they use their own proprietary parts, so that's one disadvantage of owning a Lian-Li. I wouldn't recommend it unless money is no object and you don't mind paying for high end parts.

Toxic72

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
So you guys would recommend getting an SSD over a nicer case than the Cooler Master 912? The drive I planned to get was the Corsair 40gb drive (I would use it as a boot drive and then store a few games on it). I just feel like if I wait to get an SSD, someone will end up making a huge improvement on them because they're such a new technology. Meanwhile, a good case could last for as long as I take care of it (or as long as ATX lasts).

D

Deleted member 217926

To be honest if you are only considering a 40GB drive then I would go for the nice case instead. Even with 120GB I have games I can't install without uninstalling others first. And as you said a nice case will last years.

Toxic72

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
Well I planned just to install one game, play that through, uninstall, choose another, etc.

I still can't decide on a case though... the budget is really at 160 without the SSD, but nothing has caught my eye so far. I'm trying to stay away from Full-Tower, they're just so darn big.

The latest thing that is happening right now with SSD's is the speed increase to take advantage of SATA III speeds. These are just coming to market now. As they do, you can expect the current drives running at SATA II speeds to come down in price. There is always a "next big thing" so most of us live with obsolete equipment. :)

I have been using a 40gig boot drive since last January and I don't regret my purchase. However I do wish I'd had more money for drive real estate. I have a lite Win7 installation that only takes 10gigs, then I have about 12-14 gigs of applications. Thing is, to operate at top efficiency some folks say to run about half full on an SSD. I find 75% is reasonable, but that is just the conventional wisdom.

If you do get an SSD, and if it were me I would make room in the budget for one, I would recommend something in the sweet spot of capacity, storage, performance and price. I like the OCZ Vertex 2 drives in the $200 range for 100GB or even better 120GB. I think it will be some time before the SATA III drives are more consumer friendly.

Now, for the budget gamer cases have you looked at the storm scout? The Lian-Li Lancool for $80 looks nice. Newegg has a nice rosewill armor for 100 that looks pretty nice, especially if you like mesh!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147047

I would stay away from Apevia, but thermaltake makes some nice cases and NZXT has some decent ones too. I just bought a NZXT Apollo for my wife but it has limited cable management. I hear nice things about the Xiggy Utgard but I wouldn't know personally.

This one from Enermax looks promising too:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811124139

GL

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.