ASUS M4a78 Plus, No Post or Video Output

takums

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
I have an ASUS M4A78 Plus motherboard which I have sent in to be repaired 3 times now with no progress whatsoever. They claim it works fine.

When I start the computer, there is no video output at all and there are no post beeps (unless I take out all the ram, then I get an appropriate error beep sequence). The lights on the connected keyboard turn on and off as if it is trying to boot up repeatedly.

The graphics card I am using is brand new, the ram is apparently fine (I tried 3 separate sticks which I am pretty sure work fine and one that I know is bad, I got error beeps for the bad stick). I have no way of being sure that the CPU is working properly though, it was in the motherboard when this problem started happening.

I can't seem to find any documentation on all the post beep patterns that I should have for this motherboard's bios, so I'm not sure what no beeps could mean.

takums

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
just bought a new psu as well (RaidMax RX-730SS), no change
tried another new cpu which has been sitting in it's box unopened (AMD Athlon X2 5000), no change

Also bench tested this time, instead of in case

takums

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
Ended up getting a new motherboard... and i have the same problem with this one. Everything is new except the ram, but shouldn't there be post beep error codes for bad ram?

yeatsie

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012

did you find a solution to this? my M4A78 Pro is doing the same thing after my powersupply died.
I've replaced it with a new working powersupply (lights and fans go on on the motherboard) but i get no POST or video output?
thanks, Simon

MrSeanner

Honorable
Jan 23, 2013

I am having the same issue.

I had 2x 2GB sticks of ram in the yellow slots, and the same thing as you guys described kept happening. I removed one of the sticks (which was good because I alternated them later) and my video would work... however the system would now freeze at the screen where you should be able to press <DEL> to enter bios or <tab> to display bios post message.

I called Asus support and asides from suggesting I clear the cmos (which I did), they could not offer any info that would help. Even if you get an RMA, the 20-30 bucks it costs to ship is not far off the cost of a newer silimar board.

If anyone has found a solution or thinks they can offer some advice, it would be more than welcome.

wvheaven

Honorable
May 10, 2013
Exact same problem as others in this thread so still hoping somebody will find a solution!

pliktro

Reputable
Apr 10, 2015
I know this is an old thread but i have a similar problem with my ASUS M4A78 board. My old Radeon HD 3600 Series works perfect the new purchased XFX R7 250x has no video output.
Did anyone found a solution?