I recently put together my new system and everything is working well but i am concerned about my CPU temps. I have a Phenom II 955 that i have kept at stock speeds paired with a coolermaster hyper n520 heatsink/cooler. The idle core temperatures in HWmonitor seem good at 28C but under a medium load ( a game like black ops) the cores will go up to about 50C. within 10 minutes Prime95 or the crysis 2 demo bring the temps up to about 60C. The max temp being 62C makes me worry running at temps like this, especially since i had hoped to overclock my cpu and crossfire my 6850. Ambient temps are about 19C. I think i should reseat the cooler and buy better quality TIM (i used the one that came with the cooler), but i had a few questions
1. What thermal compound should i get? should i go with AS5, or get something like MX-4?
3. upon reseating the cooler, should i leave the rubber anti-vibration washers on the screws between the bracket and motherboard? i saw a review on newegg claiming they were bad, but i dont really know.
4. How tight should the cooler be fastened on to the cpu?
5. What is the best way to spread thermal compound? not having throughly researched, i tried the spread method which did not go too well with the thick compound included with the cooler
well..........first of all 62 c is the maximum safe temp. for your processor.......second,your heat sink is very good and don`t try to change it as you will just pay alot for nearly the same performance as your heat sink With a dual fan setup combined aluminum fins and copper heatpipes....i think it`s very good.....third, about the surface...i think alcohol will do it`s job well and i used it for my cleaning my heat sink and processor`s surface in my note book........after that i think your problem wiil be one of these issues:-
1) try disabling cool&quit or smart fan from your bios.
2)be sure of installing your heat sink propely.
3)i think the best way to put a small piece of the thermal compound at the center of the processor then put the heat sink properly and don`t try to remove the heat sink to make sure that the thermal compound is spread well.
4)if you are planing to over clock your cpu try other high perfomance thermal compounds.
finally,......check all these solutions and tell me if this problem still found.
My 955 only hits ~45c at full load after 24 hours of Prime95. Idles around ~25c. I would consider 60c pushing it.
I use Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound and a ThermalRight Ultra Extreme Heatsink.
I would definitely check to make sure your Heatsink is properly mounted. Make sure you didn't use too much or too little thermal compound. Case air flow is also important. Make sure you have adequate air intake and exhaust in your case.