Sandy Bridge and DDR3 TriChannel Kit

karlp

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
I'm trying to put together a Sandy Bridge build on extremely tight budget, hence trying to use some existing parts. I have Kingston HyperX DDR3 6GB (3 x 2GB) CAS 9 1600 Mhz kit. I'm planning on pairing the memory with either i5 2500k or i7 2600k on a ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 board.

Given that it's a 1600 Mhz and 1.65V and a trichannel kit would I be able to use it with this setup?
1600Mhz: I think it's compatible with the motherboard, although Sandy bridge calls for 1033/1333 Mhz, I think these modules would either downclock to 1333 mhz by default or I can overclock by changing the memory multipler and I think the motherboard supports this. Please confirm.
1.65v: I was told that for Sandy Bridge 1.5v or under is preferred, is this true?
Trichannel kit: this is my main concern as I'm not sure if i would able to use it in 3x 2gb configuration on this board and whether SB would have any problems with it. I know most boards are able to interleave the odd stick but I couldn't find any mention of that in this board's documentation. Please comment.

So please let me know if the trichannel kit will work for me or I should got with the acquiring the fourth stick with similar specs such as this Kingston HyperX Blu 2GB DDR3 1600Mhz.

It will work but you'll be in single channel unless you put in just 2 sticks. 1.5v is preferred, there are the rare cases where 1.65v has caused issues. It will most likely be downclocked to stock 1333 and 1.5v but you can overclock it to 1600.

You will just have to try on the overclock back to 1600, at 1.5 volts it might not be stable. It won't really make a noticeable difference you ever notice anyway.
If you are concerned about running dual channel mode, you could always just buy 1 more stick of the same memory and populate all 4 slots for 8gb in dual channel.