Intel chipset recall?

Pj94z

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
Re: Dell Latitude X8300

I got a letter in the mail from Best Buy today stating:

"Intel disclosed a design issue with the intel 6 series express chipsets....chipsets could experience an issue with some integrated SATA ports... "

The letter states that I may:

1. return pc for full refund ( BB will backup my data to 320GB WD HDD for me free of charge)

2. exchange PC for similar model ( new model avail Apr 3rd, 2011 )
(best buy will transfer programs/files to new PC free of charge)

So, anyone heard anything about this?

Should I go for the exchange of "similar" model (will have to wait till apr 3 )

Or just go return it tomorrow and buy a new PC using refund monies ??

Exchange it for the similar model when it comes out, they will probably just move your HDD over to the new one.

The deal is that the metal layer in some of the transistors in the SATA II controller on the Intel 6 series chipset was a bit thinner and weaker than it should have been leading to slowing down and eventual failure overtime(we are talking years not weeks), most people wouldnt notice it, and after it was announced that there was an issue many systems were switched to only use the SATA III ports which were un affected.

Its not a scam it is legitimate, but there is no reason to go without a computer for a while, just get the one with the fixed chipset when they have it.

Yup, the B3 stepping of the chipset has only recently started shipping. MSI was the first one to get it out the door with their H67 boards though it seems to be picking up across the board. Anyway, with a laptop it shouldn't really matter, but hey if they want to give you a new one I say go for it ^_^

markarich159

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
I bought a Dell XPS 8300(one of the affected chipset models) at Best Buy on 1/6/10. I just recieved this letter yesterday and was not very happy with BB for a few reasons.
#1. This issue has been known for almost a month and a half and it took BB that long to issue a statement(they had my home address and email address from day 1). Dell contacted me via email almost immediately(which leads to-
#2. The solution for this issue has already been decided many weeks ago(and Best Buy has/had nothing to do with it). You don't have to to take your computer ANYWHERE or waste ANY of your time. The option Intel and the OEM vendors(i.e Dell, HP, etc..) came up with is much fairer to the consumer(being that the consumer had nothing to do with the flaw and , therefore, should have nothing to do with the fix) and , again, was announced WEEKS ago. Call your OEM vendor(you're warranty is through THEM, not Best Buy - unless you purchased the overpriced Geek Squad option), they will dispatch a technician TO YOUR HOME with a new fixed motherboard(now available)and do all the work for you. Why should the consumer have to take ANY of their time to drive back to Best Buy.
#3. I've already spoken to Dell Support about the infamous BB letter and they were LIVID!!!!! They told me to rip the letter up and Best Buy will be duly addressed for their breach of protocol in regards to the appropriate Mobo replacement option(which, by the way, isn't mentioned once in the letter). Also the OP didn't quite get the exact flavor of the purposely vague and ambiguos BB letter. They don't come out and say they will REPLACE your computer. The letter says thet will have new stock on 4/3/2011 and you can either return your computer(and I'm sure they will stringently stick to their 30 day return policy on that option) OR you can re-PURCHASE a new model and they will transfer your data for free or if you choose NOT to purchase a new model from them they will transfer your data to a measly 320 GB WD HDD(the HDD in mine is a 1.5 Terrabyte , so that option is an absolute insult to me). Nowhere in the letter does it guarantee that the consumer will be getting their money back for the original computer purchase. The ONLY thing the BB letter guarantees is the free data transfer(whooopie!!!!!)
#4. In my opinion, this is just a scam by Best Buy(being that the letter never mentions the actual Intel/ OEM mobo replacement protocol) to get unwitting and non-computer savvy consumers BACK into their store to either try to rip them off by selling them a new computer(without giving them any credit for their old one) or over sell them on higher priced computer - and maybe they'll grab a new iPhone 4 on the way out. It's reprehensible on BB's part in my opinion.

oby20

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011

go return it and exchange it for a new pc model, there are alot of better cpu out there that will perform equal to your system, and waiting is just a bad idea.