I did a video display update and it changed the type of hardware. Now the resol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bunnsarelli

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010
I did a video display update and it changed the type of hardware. Now the resolution is all messed up because it is not identifying the correct hardware

Solution
Ok you have several methods of curing this problem.

1) Go to device manager and roll back your graphics card driver.
2) Do a system restore to a date before you updated the driver.
3) Take the graphics card out and visually identify it. If it is on board graphics look up the motherboard specification and download the correct driver/
4) Use the program Unknown device http://www.halfdone.com/ukd/ to identify your graphics card.
5) Look up the specification of your computer from the manufacturer’s web site.

Bunnsarelli

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010
I think the display driver name got changed when I installed an update to it from drivercure. It is telling me that I have the correct driver for the hardware, however I believe prior to this the Nvidia was something like 460 or 480. Now it says it is an 8600M GS. Everything is giant size, off the page and it will not let me change the resolution. It is showing as 4bit. I can't restore to previous using drivercure because the button is off the page. How can I find out what the display driver used to be called so I can manually put that in and download the correct driver? laptop. I a have disabled and deleted and reinstalled to no avail. Thanks.

Bunnsarelli

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010

Yes I did that too but it is dl the wrong driver as the hardware is misidentified.

Ok you have several methods of curing this problem.

1) Go to device manager and roll back your graphics card driver.
2) Do a system restore to a date before you updated the driver.
3) Take the graphics card out and visually identify it. If it is on board graphics look up the motherboard specification and download the correct driver/
4) Use the program Unknown device http://www.halfdone.com/ukd/ to identify your graphics card.
5) Look up the specification of your computer from the manufacturer’s web site.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.