Need help installing OS

lghost

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010
Thanks to the guys in the CPU section, I went ahead and got there parts for my system.

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
M4A88TD-V EVO/U Socket AM3 880G ATX AMD Motherboard
Extreme Performance Sector 5 G Series 4GB DDR3-1333
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7,200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

I got it all hooked up and into the bios and boot screen.
My issue is that I'm not sure if my DVD Writer/Reader is working or connected correctly.
I have Windows 7 64x OS DVD. It is not reading it. Keeps telling me to insert boot media and press key.
What I have tried and noticed.

While hooking it up I noticed that there is only one IDE connector, the primary. In older computers this is automatically for the hard drive. But my DVD reader is IDE only so I hooked it to that. Now, I did use the cable labeled hard drive. Would that cause the problem? I'll have to get the right cable if so but, is it even possible to hook the dvd reader to the primary? If not, I'll have to get a sata connected DVD reader...?

In the bios setting and into the boot settings, the Pioneer DVD reader does show up and I put it as number 1. Also, I have switched the jumpers in all three options to no avail.

DVD reader is good as I took it out my computer I'm on and was working today.

The only other thing I can think of is, is my CPU and motherboard 64x compatible?

Thanks

Solution
mdd1963 had it WRONG on the jumpers.

Yes, you can use an IDE optical drive on an IDE port on your mobo.When you use an IDE port and device (with an 80-conductor ribbon cable that has three 40-pin (well, 39) connectors on it, here's how you MUST set it up.

1. You describe a system with only ONE device (the optical drive) attached to the IDE port and cable. ANY IDE port MUST have a Master device to work, so your only choice will be to set the jumpers on the optical drive to the Master position. To do that, use the diagram on the optical drive itself - not a diagram on some other unit.
2. On the cable, the BLUE connector on one end must go to the mobo port connector. The BLACK connector on the other end should go to your Master device...
Set DVD jumper to slave, and, if IDE cable length is an issue, set it outside the unit if necessary, to hook it to the end of 80 pin ribbon cable...

Worst case, you are likely facing some weird DVD writer/BIOS compatibility issue...

cpu and mb are certainly compatible with WIn7/64 bit...

lghost

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010
This one has me stumped still.

I have tried mulitple cd readers (IDE). I have tried an OS boot from USB stick. Switched all boot priorities in every possible way. I tried disabling every other device that wasn't to be used just to try and something to boot. Every device I try is being read. Just not loading anything.

I took the harddrive from old computer with XP install on it and I reach the XP loading screen for split second then restarts comp automatically and returns to insert proper boot media and press a key. I have tried XP 32x cd and windows 7 64x. The usb stick i put XP on. I'm gonna keep trying but other ideas are welcome.

lghost

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010
It seems to have been a hit & miss situation, after almost a day it decides to load the cd with nothing different from my original configuration. I can't say its complete as installing just begun. I wonder what was wrong

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
mdd1963 had it WRONG on the jumpers.

Yes, you can use an IDE optical drive on an IDE port on your mobo.When you use an IDE port and device (with an 80-conductor ribbon cable that has three 40-pin (well, 39) connectors on it, here's how you MUST set it up.

1. You describe a system with only ONE device (the optical drive) attached to the IDE port and cable. ANY IDE port MUST have a Master device to work, so your only choice will be to set the jumpers on the optical drive to the Master position. To do that, use the diagram on the optical drive itself - not a diagram on some other unit.
2. On the cable, the BLUE connector on one end must go to the mobo port connector. The BLACK connector on the other end should go to your Master device (the optical unit). The GREY connector in the middle of the cable is for the Slave device, which you don't have, so it is NOT connected.
3. Make sure you also have plugged a 4-pin Molex power supply connector from your PSU into the optical unit.
4. When you power on, go immediately into BIOS Setup and find the parameters for the IDE port. Make sure it is Enabled and set to Automatic configuration. Then go to the SATA port section and ensure they also are Enabled. Near there find the line for setting the SATA Port Mode. Since you will be using Win 7, set this option to AHCI to get optimal performance from your SATA HDD.
5. Now find the place where you specify Boot Priority Sequence. You should set it to use the optical drive unit first, then the SATA HDD, and NO other choices for now. (If you want to get booting from a USB stick in there later, you can do it then.) Of course, if your optical unit or its port, cable, or something is not working, the BIOS will not show you it, and won't let you set it as a boot device choice.
6. Save and Exit. The machine will reboot with this new configuration. If you have NOT placed your Win 7 Install CD in the optical drive, it will try that drive, find no bootable media, and skip on to the HDD as the second choice. When it finds no bootable media there either, it will give you the error message. BUT if you put your Install CD in the optical unit and reboot, it should boot from there and start the Install process.

Solution

lghost

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010
I don't know what the problem was, it was just being stubborn (not likely). Strange thing is though, as of right now, the optical drive is the only thing hooked to the IDE and it is set as slave connected to the middle connector of the cable. It wasn't what made the difference but I'm just saying it doesn't seem to be a must in my case (that worked out nicely - PC case?) Thanks for the help! I love my new computer