Sign in with
Your question

New build, OS installed, reboots constantly

Last response: in Systems
December 21, 2010 6:13:07 AM

Hi all,
Long time reader, first time writer.

Last week I got myself new components (see list below), put everything together (thoroughly). The boot went fine.
Next step - OS installation (on a newly formatted harddrive). Windows XP SP3 is a safe choice - had it for some 3-4 years, all licensed.
After OS installation system works fine, CPU temp is stable, all 4 Gb visible.
Now it's time to install chipset drivers. During the installation system started rebooting non-stop after hitting Windows welcome screen.

The list of components:
PSU: Zalman 750W-HP Silent http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/Product_Read.asp?id...
CPU: Intel Core I5-760 2,80GHZ 8MB S-1156
MOBO: Gigabyte GA P55A UD3 http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...
RAM: Corsair 4GB DDR3 XMS INTEL I5/I7 PC12800 1600MHZ CL8 (2X2GB) (CMX4GX3M2A1600C8) http://www.corsair.com/products/xms3/default.aspx
GPU: SAPPHIRE RADEON HD6870 1GB GDDR5 PCI-E DVI/HDMI/DP http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?leg=&...

After restoring the system (via F8 Safe Mode, and then restore to earlier checkpoint) to prior drivers installation, went with installing the drivers separately. The problem occurs when I try to install drivers for HD Realtec Sound OR USB Host Device. During the installation the pop-up comes along "found new device" and before I manage hitting "Cancel" the system shuts down (not the regular shut-down, but just switches off as if the power supply suddenly turns off) and starts rebooting.

I tried both drivers from the disk that followed with the MOBO, and the new drivers at Gigabyte web page - all the same. So I figured - there's gotta be something fishy with the MOBO, right? I sent the fail description to the seller and they sent me a new card (exactly the same modell). Which I installed yesterday. And guess what - same mistake with the new MOBO. Just to be certain I installed the OS from start again, and still during the installation of HD Realtec or USB host controller the system reboots.

I'm getting gray hair here instead of some sweet fps in Counter-Strike.
Advice anyone?

PS. When I tried to connect external harddisk through USB the system just shut down. Bummer
December 21, 2010 10:37:13 AM

I'd be doing some googling of P55/WinXP compatibility issues; possibly INtel has some drivers that work that have not been incorporated into Gigabytes available downloads...and/or perhaps MS has some extra patches of the OS that need to be installed (can disable USB and sound to get to that point to install them)
December 21, 2010 1:19:53 PM

What version of bios are you running?
If not most recent, try flashing it to F11.

Nothing actually plugged into the USB ports when installing drivers (besides input devices) right?
Related resources
December 21, 2010 5:11:31 PM

I googled compatibility of MOBO with all components - nothing sticks out. Plus only positive responces on the MOBO modell.
As for BIOS - it is in fact F11, so no updates yet ((
and yeah, during the installation no other devises than keyboard, mouse and screen are plugged in.
December 21, 2010 5:16:10 PM

Nice set up Tank. I had a similar issue with my rig and it ended up being memory. Have you tried different slots? Also, make sure you have the timing, frequency and voltage set right on your memory so you can eliminate that as an issue.

Looks like a great rig dude, good luck.
December 21, 2010 5:28:52 PM

Also, make sure your mobo isnt touching the back of your case. I just talked to a friend of mine who forgot to put his posts in before screwing his mobo down (really) and it caused all sorts of weird.
December 21, 2010 6:24:09 PM

goatsword said:
Also, make sure your mobo isnt touching the back of your case. I just talked to a friend of mine who forgot to put his posts in before screwing his mobo down (really) and it caused all sorts of weird.

Yeah, that I checked. Installed all nine posts behind the mobo, so there's "no touching" ))
December 21, 2010 6:29:05 PM

goatsword said:
Nice set up Tank. I had a similar issue with my rig and it ended up being memory. Have you tried different slots? Also, make sure you have the timing, frequency and voltage set right on your memory so you can eliminate that as an issue.

Looks like a great rig dude, good luck.

I have had my previous PC for like 4-5 years, so believe me I was really looking for this upgrade. Studied all tests at THG, and finally bought "the stuff".
As for memory - I kinda had a sneakin' suspicion that it might cause the fuzz, so I tried using one dimm at a time (first one, then another), and it's still the same issue. Will try to play with the frequencies and voltage tomorrow.
December 22, 2010 5:50:42 AM

UPD
OK, I'm weak. I took the PC to local GURUs for diagnostic.
I figured that it's been 2 weeks that the computer trouble started and it's only so much I can do myself. Will update about results of their research. Cheers.
And Merry Christmass to everybody.
!