Sign in with
Your question

Video card upgrade

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 23, 2010 6:16:26 PM

I am trying to upgrade a Sony PCV RZ54G to Windows 7. I need to upgrade the video card. It currently has NVIDIA® GeForce™ FX5200. How do I know what will work in Win 7 but not be too much for the power supply? So far all I know is that it has to be an AGP card. There are several on Ebay at cheap prices. My son's main need for the card is YouTube etc. I know the computer is old but still works fine for his needs.
Thanks for any assistance,
goworley

More about : video card upgrade

October 24, 2010 8:04:32 PM

It's a DX-9 Card, it might not run aero and everything but it should work. Have you tried installing windows 7?
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
October 24, 2010 10:45:31 PM

7 upgrade advisor is crap, i ran on a laptop with 3650 and it said it wasn't compatible, offcourse it is and anfter i installed it everything worked perfectly. you just have to download the latest drivers from the nvidia site.

though the penformance will be low, according to sony it only has 512mb ddr, a upgrade to at least 2gb is recommended for good penformance
m
l
October 25, 2010 12:50:07 AM

wiinippongamer said:
7 upgrade advisor is crap, i ran on a laptop with 3650 and it said it wasn't compatible, offcourse it is and anfter i installed it everything worked perfectly. you just have to download the latest drivers from the nvidia site.

Perhaps if you had updated the drivers first, It would have said it was compatible. :D 
m
l
November 4, 2010 7:55:06 PM

Long story short: after upgrading to Win 7 video & audio were crappy (Video slows & freezes ... audio pops & cracks)
Got a new video card & drivers - still had problems. Hours of frustration later, returned machine to Win XP.
Back to my former opinion, if desire for new OS is strong scrap then computer & get a new one!!

P.S. 7 Upgrade advisor is worthless. According to its recommendation all should have worked except Aero.
m
l
November 6, 2010 8:37:11 AM

Quote:
that's only a 50/50 chance too.. ;) 

Too true.
m
l
!