ASUS Maximus Gene-Z

midget666

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
Im getting two ASUS ENGTX 560 ti GFX cards and im going to SLI them on a ASUS Gene-Z Micro-ATX motherboard but im concerned about space and heat. im also getting a thermaltake frio cpu cooler so im really wondering if the cards will fit, if they will overheat cause they are so close, and if the cpu cooler is going to get in the way. im putting this in a Antec DF-85 case so there will be plenty of air flow.

If anyone can answer my questions that would be really helpful :)

The primary graphics card is definitely going to be running hotter because it will be starved of cooling air by the secondary graphics card located right below it.

Micro-ATX form factor motherboards are always afflicted with this PCI-E x16 slot layout problem due to its limited board space.

The Thermaltake Frio CPU cooler shouldn't interfere with graphics card installation.

If the graphics card overheats I guess you could consider that affecting performance if you start to get artifacts or the application crashes or locks up when it happens.

Higher temperatures will always shorten the life of electronic components.

midget666

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
lol urg im debating whether or not to get this board. its got soo many features i will use like the rog connect at very little price. but i dont want my GFX cards to be too affected

Whenever planning to run more than one graphics card it's always desirable to use a full size ATX or larger motherboard with the proper slot spacing.

midget666

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
ech screw that
XD Raza kits and stufff are really expensive. id rather just deal with the top one being 10 degrees celsius hotter all the time XD idk maybe ill try it and find out. i saw this site where a guy put two reference model GTX 580s in sli on that board and they are 2 slot much like the ASUS ENGTX 560 ti and he said they work fine and he has had no problems. that and i have seen people tri SLI reference model GTX 500 series cards and the temps are relatively the same on benchmarking programs. i just really want this board lol XD cause its such a great deal and i like the features and aesthetic look of it. the rog extreme is another 140 dollars XD

uncountable

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
I have the Antec DF-85 as well, and am looking at the board ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z. I am concerned about running an SLI setup with the card spacing on the board.

Did you go ahead with the setup? How is it working?