Sign in with
Your question

First Time Builder

Last response: in Systems
December 21, 2010 4:40:35 PM

So about a month ago I asked the community for some build ideas for a $600-700 gaming PC. I had some great responses and lots of help. I realized that after reading reviews and researching parts, the builds might not be the best bang for my buck, or best choice in general. I read through quite a bit of builds and eventually came up with my own. Any feedback on the build would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

More about : time builder

December 21, 2010 5:19:59 PM

Better mobo for less- ASRock 870 EXTREME3

Better RAM for less- G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB)

GPU- If you want to stick to Nvidia, you can get a 1GB version with your savings. If you want to go with Radeon however, getting a 5xxx series one according to your budget and requirement will be slightly more value for money in pure fps terms.

The rest of the stuff looks pretty good to me.
m
l
Related resources
December 21, 2010 6:06:37 PM

Thanks for the quick replies. Both of you gave great suggestions. I took from each post and made up a new build. Hope its nice.

$700 ar

Thanks!
m
l
December 21, 2010 6:35:30 PM

I honestly believe you will be better off with the AMD 6850. An AMD mobo, proc, and video card will play nicer with eachother and improve your stability and most likely improve your power. Although im not sure if thats worth the 20 bucks to ya.

http://www.ultimatehardware.net/ati/xfx_radeon_hd_6850_...

Also a heads up, if you ever want to add another video card to your set up, you WILL need a bigger psu.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
December 21, 2010 6:43:14 PM

The Antec Earthwatts is much better than the OCZ. Both have reviewed well (in competent technical reviews, not consumer "reviews"), but the Antec is stronger, and made with better parts.
m
l
December 21, 2010 6:50:10 PM

besides 550 Watts is squeaking by with this build neways. both the 6850 and the gtx460 eat wattage. near 250 at load. add that into a 125 watt proc, among other accessories, and your just cutting it close. go with the 650 watt antec you wont regret it
m
l
December 21, 2010 7:04:03 PM

Changes made. Thanks for all the help. Going to purchase the build shortly after christmas.

m
l
a b 4 Gaming
December 22, 2010 4:22:44 AM

Yep u are welcomed and happy building/shopping ^^
m
l
!