Sign in with
Your question

Any AM3+ users having lag issues?

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
November 21, 2011 11:53:22 PM

Last September I rebuilt my game rig using an 990FX board. Things seamed ok the first round but wasn't all that great at overclocking but eventually settled around 3.5ghz :(  The ram shouldn't be an issues as it is clocked below stock at 1333 vs the 1600 stock. The psu is also decent and is much better than most here are willing to afford. It is a Gold rated 1kw NZXT unit. Problems started up about a month to two months into the life of the build after I had installed my second gtx 280 but the issue had popped up once prior about two or three weeks or so but quickly went away. cpu temps are very good often below 50c through out the day. Drive temps are often in the upper 20s to low 30s. I got 6 drives total installed with two more that are not hooked up unless I am doing backups. Everything is clean so there isn't thermal issues that I know off but it is possible since I have not modded this board like I usually do. It has stock bios and am only using a P2 x4 820 (1.32v) and hasn't crashed on me due to clocks unless I try to push 3.8ghz.

I am going to describe this lag issue in more detail. Basically all my drives are under performing than usual compared to when the problem isn't present or used on another board. No I haven't had drives undock yet as with the Asus boards but the bios lags when going between options and menus. Apps tend to be very slow while wow has a habit of crashing. Firefox is by far the worst and often unresponsive. I have tried cleaning out and changing my drivers and have tested each card separately. Both have tested fine and are cleaned properly. I have disabled the virtual memory that used to run on my SSD so it is all on the ram for now.

So if there is anyone else having issues with this board or similar boards please post.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Two Kits 16GB total running at 1333. Triple 7 by 19

More about : am3 users lag issues

November 22, 2011 10:03:43 PM

Try running a memtest and then running prime95 for a while to make sure your system is completely stable, I once overclocked a little too much and i had programs crashing and things (like games) running slowly but windows somehow managed to keep working.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
November 22, 2011 10:34:28 PM

ross_mitchell said:
Try running a memtest and then running prime95 for a while to make sure your system is completely stable, I once overclocked a little too much and i had programs crashing and things (like games) running slowly but windows somehow managed to keep working.

I have fixed the issues with wow and other games are rock solid including skyrim. The only app that does have issues is Firefox. The lag issues come and go on their own but I think that I have narrowed it down to the board.
m
l
Related resources
November 23, 2011 6:29:43 AM

nforce4max said:
I have fixed the issues with wow and other games are rock solid including skyrim. The only app that does have issues is Firefox. The lag issues come and go on their own but I think that I have narrowed it down to the board.

good to know that you managed to fix the issue with games. Firefox crashing could be due to memory leaks (firefox is knowen to have them). do other browsers work.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
November 24, 2011 4:27:35 PM

Yes, I think that it is the sata controller as more than one drive lags sometime all at once. I am not happy with AM3+ atm, the lag issue is random.
m
l
November 24, 2011 4:50:05 PM

Have you checked your bios to find out if the sata controller settings are correct. I am running a 990fx board (ASUS Crosshair V) and i have multiple harddrives with no lag. Is it possible that you need to defragment your harddrive?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
November 24, 2011 4:58:12 PM

No problem with my drives and settings are good. Bios some times is rather laggy but any way it is working rather well right now. This is the first board that I have seen this issue after all the builds that I have worked with.
m
l
November 24, 2011 9:05:51 PM

Do you have cool and quiet turned on, that would explain the occasional lag.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
November 24, 2011 10:53:59 PM

I'll turn it off next time the issue pops up again.
m
l
!