Missing 1 standoff hole - still safe?

TheRedStorm

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
I'm doing my first ever PC build and I have a question.

The motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z68AP-D3
The case: Thermaltake Element G

My motherboard has 7 standoff holes on it.

When I align it with my case, only 6 of those 7 have a hole under it - that would mean all but one of the holes on the motherboard would be mounted.

Example diagram to illustrate the situation: (not to scale, the motherboard isn't really that thin)

* = standoff hole on motherboard but not case
O = standoff hole on case and motherboard

O O

O O *

O O

Will it still be safe to run the computer like this?

Solution
I wouldn't worry about about it at all. Just remember to be extra carefull when working on the board and keep in mind that it's unsupported in that area. Looking at the picture of the case though it should have all the holes your motherboard needs. Unless it has a manufacturing defect. Standard ATX layout for standoffs is:

0 0 0

0 0 0

0 0 0

Naxos

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
I wouldn't worry about about it at all. Just remember to be extra carefull when working on the board and keep in mind that it's unsupported in that area. Looking at the picture of the case though it should have all the holes your motherboard needs. Unless it has a manufacturing defect. Standard ATX layout for standoffs is:

0 0 0

0 0 0

0 0 0

Solution

TheRedStorm

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011

Mine isn't that layout though, but it still says its an ATX motherboard on GIGABYTE's website.

The website says:" Form Factor - ATX Form Factor; 30.5cm x 21.5cm"

Well, I'll try it without that one screwed in. As long as all the others are secure it should be good, right?

It can't be a manufacturing defect in the case though, because that picture of the case is the same as the case I have.

A full size ATX motherboard is 30.5cm x 24.4cm. Your motherboard is smaller in depth by 2.9cm (i.e. 30.5cm x 21.5cm). This doesn't match any current standard form factor so that one hole you can't match to a standoff should be expected.

You can use a nylon motherboard standoff like the following in that seventh hole to prevent the motherboard from bending and touching the motherboard tray. You may need to shear off the button on the bottom of the nylon motherboard standoff to make it the right height.

Nylon_Motherboard_Standoffs.png

Naxos

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
I wouldn't worry too much about the missing standoff. You could get the plastic ones, but I would just run it as is. Just be carefull installing it and plugging in you cables and cards. Unless you plan on moving the PC around alot your all set.