Need help with my build

mitok1995

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2010
I want to build a gaming Pc with the budget of maximum of about 400-450 pounds but I'm struggling with the build parts because I don't know what parts would be best... I am mostly unsure about the Cpu and Mobo.. As for the other parts I was thinking to get the Radeon HD 5770 1GB for the Gpu and for Ram the Corsair XMS 3 PC3-12800 (2x2GB). Would these be good choices? And as for the Cpu I was thinking of something from the Amd Phenom series like the quad core but that might be too expensive for the budget. However, I will take any suggestions on the parts for the best possible gaming rig possible for this budget. Also please remember that if you give a full build then if you can then please say how good the games (and what games) will run on it like on what specs and the frame rate or something so I just get the basic idea of what to expect. P.s I already have a 500GB hard disk from an old pc so you can exclude that.

goatsword

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
Ok so if my math is decent, you're looking at about $750 USD. That can get you a pretty solid AMD rig. Can you take a look at the sticky on how to ask for help so we can get you configured? What games do you play? Are you comfortable with overclocking? etc. All good info for us to have.

mitok1995

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2010

Sorry but I just joined this forum so I'm not very familiar with everything so could you explain more what you mean by a sticky and getting me configured? And 450 pounds is about $700 from what I searched on the internet.

mitok1995

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2010
Sorry about that... Here it is:

Approximate Purchase Date: January 2011

Budget Range: 400-450 pounds (about $700)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Mostly for gaming but also everything else from surfing the internet and watching movies to the use of more complex programs. to put it simply It needs to be a gaming pc which will be able to do all the other kinds of things.

Parts Not Required: I need the basic hardware like monitor and things but this is not included in the given budget so you don't have to worry about these.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Anything which has good prices and good reputation in all aspects.

Country of Origin: United Kingdom (England)

Parts Preferences: I would like to use the Radeon HD 5770 1GB for the GPU and Corsair XMS 3 PC3-12800 (2x2GB) for the ram as long as these are good choices. If you have any better suggestions with a similar price then please say so.

Overclocking: Yes (I want to use it so I will research more about it)

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe (If it still fits the budget and would be more convenient then yes)

Monitor Resolution: I will want to get a monitor with 1920x1080 resolution and about 22" or more for a maximum of 200 pounds (about $300)

Additional Comments: I want it to have a window and all sorts of cool lights as well as it needs to be quiet for a gaming pc. P.s This is going to be my first build so I will be happy with some extra help :)

jedi940

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
untitled.jpg

Grab whatever monitor you want along with a keyboard and mouse and you are all set. The only thing is that the case doesn't have any lights in it. You can just grab a neon light and put it in there.

At 1080p, the 6870 will do much better than the 5770. Also, with that motherboard, you have the option to crossfire later.

mitok1995

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2010
I think you misunderstood because this costs nearly 700 GBP and I meant 700 USD which is about 450 GBP. And also one more thing, the cost of the OS does not have to be included into the 450 pound budget.

Are you sure that the 6870 fit in that case?

jedi940

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007

Whoops, you are right. I knew what you were talking about, I just messed it up somehow. let me make a few changes

mitok1995

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2010
I have a couple of questions about this build. Here they are:

1)Is it possible as well as is it a good idea to change the soprano case into an antec 300 case?
2)Would it be a good idea to overclock the cpu? If so then by how much.
3)How well would games play on this build? I mean things like the frame rate and game settings set to highest or something and also give examples of games.
4)What is the site you used?
5)Overall, how would this build perform?
6)If you have any thing else you would like to say then please do.
7)Would it be all right to make another thread to see other peoples opinions on this build?

jedi940

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
1. yes, the antec 300 is a great case. I only chose the soprano, even though it is older, because you wanted a window and lights and I thought it looked a little better. Just my personal preference though as I like silver over black.

2. I think it is a great idea if you know what you are doing. Overclocking is a great way to squeeze extra performance out of a processor for not a lot more money (just the price of a cooler). With that processor, you could most likely get to 4.0 GHz without much trouble. However, if you are not sure what you are doing, you can really mess it up too. Be sure and read the guides on the forum. In my recommendation I have a Phenom Black edition processor. That means that the process of overclocking is easier for that particular processor. Start by reading this sticky: AMD Black Edition Overclock (by Raising Multiplier) Guide

3. The easiest way to answer that is to just look at benchmarks. This link to anandtech's review of the 6850 an 6870 cards includes the 5770 in the benchmarks. Here you can see how it stacks up at 1920x1080 resolution. AMD’s Radeon HD 6870 & 6850: Renewing Competition in the Mid-Range Market

4. www.microdirect.co.uk There may be better sites, but I am not familiar with them as I live in the US and always use newegg.com

5. Again, this is where benchmarks come in. Look at both tom's hardware charts and anand's bench section (anandtech.com) and compare your graphics card to the other ones listed and your CPU to the others. Look for specific apps/games that you will be using and that should give you a good idea. Personally, I think it is a good build, especially in this budget range. This month Tom's did list the 5770 as the best graphics card for the money and described it as "Great 1920x1200 performance in most games" but looking at the benchmarks, don't expect to play games like stalker, crysis warhead, and BC2 at max settings AND AA enabled. I think it would provide outstanding performance on a 22"1680x1050 monitor.

6. Just realized that I didn't include a Hard Drive in your build. I would go for the samsung spinpoint F3 500GB or 1TB model. To fit it in your budget, you might have to drop to the Athlon x4 640 which is still a great processor, just no L3 cache which can have a small effect on performance. Check out this article for info on that Athlon II Or Phenom II: Does Your CPU Need L3 Cache?
Also, I just checked the recommended gigabyte board on gigabyte's website and it doesn't have x8/x8 crossfire. I would probably go with either the asrock extreme3 or the gigabyte ga-890gpa-ud3h if you want to crossfire. This is why a second opinion is always welcome. You never know what little detail you might miss that a fresh set of eyes might catch.

7. Please do. These are just my personal opinions on what I would build. Others might have completely different ideas. To give you an idea of where I am coming from, I just built a computer (last week) with a Phenom X6 1090T, Same PSU, very similar motherboard (Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H) with 4GB of OCZ ram, Samsung spinpoint f3 1TB HDD, and a xigmatek Gaia cooler ( I would recommend this one if you can find it over the coolermaster 212 because it mounts for crossflow ventilation. I just couldn't find it on the site I was using. They both perform virtually the same though. Just the direction of air flow is different.) Best of luck building and feel free to ask any other questions you might have.

jedi940

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
just did a quick check and with the athlon x4, gaia cooler, and ga-890gpa-ud3h motherboard, the total in US dollars is 682 so it should be close.

mitok1995

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2010
I searched a lot for the Xigmatek Gaia SD1283 cooler but I can't seem to find it anywhere except for amazon and it is 46 pounds on there... This is quite expensive compared to the CM hyper 212. Is this a correct price? From this review they say that the gaia is better but not by a lot so is it wortk the extra money? http://tech-lobby.com/2010/11/xigmatek-gaia-sd1283-cpu-cooler/

jedi940

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
Probably not. I choose it only because of the orientation that the cooler fits on the processor. They do have similar performance. I wouldn't pay the extra for it.

mitok1995

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2010
I am stuck because I am looking for a site to buy the Radeon HD 5770 GPU from but I don't know from what manufacturer should I buy it from. I heard XFX would be the best because of a life time warranty or something but when I look on the sites all the GPU's are different and I don't know if they have a life time warranty. Can someone help me with this? :/

jedi940

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
XFX is a good brand. I have also had good luck with Sapphire. All of these graphics cards are going to perform the same unless they are factory overclocked. If the price is good, grab it. Although it is hard to beat a lifetime warranty.

mitok1995

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2010
Also another thing is that I am just searching for the best and cheapest site where I can buy the CPU and it turns out that with vat and shipping the 955 adds up to 114.98 and the newer 965 is 123.12 which is not a lot of difference. Would the 965 be a better choice because the only difference I can see is that it is 3.4Ghz. Can it still be overclocked well like the 955?

jedi940

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
They both overclock about the same. You most likely won't see much difference between the too from an overclocking standpoint. Some schools of thought say that because the stock is higher, it will yield better results but lately with AMD this hasn't been the case. For only 8 i would probably get the 965 though. That way, if you don't overclock right away, you at least get an extra 200MHz to start with.