Atrocious wireless internet speeds 16mpbs

kesodia

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
My house has 4 computers in it. 3 of them are laptops, and we have one tower (an old one from 2001-2 running XP). Our internet speed is supposed to be 16 mbps, however on sites such as speedtest.net, it shows we are only getting something along the lines of 0.68 or something. Now what I'm wondering is if the Linksys e2000 router that I have is transmitting at a slower speed because of the computer it is hooked up to is old and slow. I know that this isn't a problem with the laptops themselves, I went to a friends house who supposedly gets 2 mbps and had download speeds much better than I do. My ISP is charter if that is important. Thank you for your time

G

I would try connecting the cable modem directly to a computer (don't forget to power cycle the cable modem) and run a speed test.

kesodia

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
So not the wireless router? My cable modem is already connected directly to the slower computer. I don't think I was very clear in asking this question. I was wondering if the fact that the computer that the wireless router is plugged into is really slow and old could possible affect the internet speeds.

G

The speed test is not supposed to be effected by the speed of the computer. You need to eliminate as many variables as you can. Try one of the laptops connected directly to the cable modem.

kesodia

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
Okay, thank you for working with me here... I can't try to do this right now because my mom is using the computer for her work and I don't think she would be very happy if I up and disconnected her computer from the internet :3