3D Vision on 60Hz LCD monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shishir

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Hi everyone, due to high cost of 120Hz capable monitor, I am thinking of buying a LCD monitor with 60Hz frame rate and then use nVidia 3D vision kit with it. Would it (3D) work? I am planning to buy a GTX 460 1GB.

Solution
Movies and game images are very different, in a movie if you see frames 1 and 3 you can guess what frame 2 would look like based off the motion blur, since computers do not track what it used to look like and cant know what it will look like each frame is crisp and does not aid in the smearing and motion blur your eyes expect to see so you cannot compare frame rates in prerendered media to frame rates in games which are rendered as you go, they will look very different.

I personally would much rather have 60FPS than 30FPS and 3D, if 3D isnt spectacular it would likely just be a disappointment.

shishir

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
But I have heard from tomshardware in there review that you need at least 30 FPS in a game to see stutter free image, and moreover, in a movie, the standard is 24p!!! i.e. 24FPS. Morover, I don't think I am going to have much problem with 30FPS in each eye. So what you do you say? Would it work?

Movies and game images are very different, in a movie if you see frames 1 and 3 you can guess what frame 2 would look like based off the motion blur, since computers do not track what it used to look like and cant know what it will look like each frame is crisp and does not aid in the smearing and motion blur your eyes expect to see so you cannot compare frame rates in prerendered media to frame rates in games which are rendered as you go, they will look very different.

I personally would much rather have 60FPS than 30FPS and 3D, if 3D isnt spectacular it would likely just be a disappointment.

Solution

locopuyo

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2010
I don't think it allows you to do it unless it specifically supports 3D and 120 hz.

You can do the red/cyan glasses way on any monitor though.
I have tried this and it doesn't look that great. There is annoying color distortion because of the colored lenses.

In most games the 3D really isn't that great anyways. It's usually the GUI being in the front and everything else having the 3D effect of sticking inside the GUI. In FPS games the crosshairs can be a bit hard to see too. I'm sure it looks a lot better with the shutter glasses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS