Help!!!! I can't unpack my turns!

Hi all

I am playing a game in RCworld host, but anytime I try to open the rst
with VPA I get the following message:

Registered version of VGA Planets 3.0 found
Reading VPA.INI...
Writing invasion29\VPACLR4.INI...
Reading VPA database file invasion29\VPA4.DB... doesn't exist

Neither VPA database nor game data files found for race 4!

I do as I always do with the rest of games and works for the rest, not
for this one. I am pretty sure I copied all the files sent me into this
game's folder.

any clue?
9 answers Last reply
More about help unpack turns
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.vga-planets (More info?)

    Nico wrote:
    > Registered version of VGA Planets 3.0 found
    > Reading VPA.INI...
    > Writing invasion29\VPACLR4.INI...
    ^^^^^^^^^^
    1234567890
    > I do as I always do with the rest of games and works for the rest, not
    > for this one. I am pretty sure I copied all the files sent me into this
    > game's folder.

    VPA still is a DOS program, and as such it cannot access long file
    names. Only old 8.3 names. A directory 'invasion29' is seen by VPA under
    the name 'invasi~1' or something like that. Rename the directory to
    something which fits into 8 letters, and it should work. Alternatively,
    invoke VPA as 'vpa 4 invasi~1'.

    (There is a magic registry hack under Windows95 which turns off the
    numeric tails (under Linux, the corresponding mount option is
    'nonumtails'). With that hack enabled, 'invasion29' is truncated to
    'invasion', and because VPA (or rather, the DOS kernel beneath it)
    truncates it to the same value, it would also work with that hack. I
    wonder why it is not enabled by default. I also wonder why the Windows
    DOS kernel refuses to read long file names if I give them some.)

    Stefan
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.vga-planets (More info?)

    That was it Stefan... thanks a lot!

    Nico

    > VPA still is a DOS program, and as such it cannot access long file
    > names. Only old 8.3 names. A directory 'invasion29' is seen by VPA under
    > the name 'invasi~1' or something like that. Rename the directory to
    > something which fits into 8 letters, and it should work. Alternatively,
    > invoke VPA as 'vpa 4 invasi~1'.

  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.vga-planets (More info?)

    "Nico" <nicosan@ctv.es> wrote in message
    > That was it Stefan... thanks a lot!
    >
    > Nico

    Stefan is a wizard!

    --

    Regards,
    Merlyn

    Merlyn wrote:
    > "Nico" <nicosan@ctv.es> wrote in message
    >>That was it Stefan... thanks a lot!
    >
    > Stefan is a wizard!

    *pulling out the character sheet*

    No, I'm a Level-3 Dwarven Ranger.

    Stefa^WOsgar Swordsteel
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.vga-planets (More info?)

    O.K., I give up...what's a Level-3 Dwarven Ranger?

    "Stefan Reuther" <stefan.news@arcor.de> wrote in message
    > Merlyn wrote:
    > > "Nico" <nicosan@ctv.es> wrote in message
    > >>That was it Stefan... thanks a lot!
    > >
    > > Stefan is a wizard!
    >
    > *pulling out the character sheet*
    >
    > No, I'm a Level-3 Dwarven Ranger.
    >

    > Stefa^WOsgar Swordsteel

  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.vga-planets (More info?)

    "Talon" <talon@att.net> wrote in message
    > O.K., I give up...what's a Level-3 Dwarven Ranger?
    >
    > "Stefan Reuther" <stefan.news@arcor.de> wrote in message
    > > Merlyn wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Stefan is a wizard!
    > >
    > > *pulling out the character sheet*
    > >
    > > No, I'm a Level-3 Dwarven Ranger.
    > >

    > > Stefa^WOsgar Swordsteel

    [start Jeopardy music]

    for $200.00 Alex,,,,

    What is D&D??????????

    --

    Regards,
    Merlyn

    "Stefan Reuther" <stefan.news@arcor.de> wrote in message
    > Merlyn wrote:
    > > Stefan is a wizard!
    >
    > *pulling out the character sheet*
    >
    > No, I'm a Level-3 Dwarven Ranger.

    well, but dont forget your magic ring giving the special hacking ability:
    break every code!
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.vga-planets (More info?)

    Merlyn wrote:

    >What is D&D??????????
    Oh dear, wonder how many here are one of those sinful roleplayers. Niilo
    Paasivirta has a very informative page about roleplaying.
    <http://www.co.jyu.fi/~np/gameofsatan/>
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.vga-planets (More info?)

    IH870 schrieb:

    > well, but dont forget your magic ring giving the special hacking ability:
    > break every code!

    I'd rather use my Virgo of Lizard Slaying,
    and of course my trusty Sabre of Doom (1 charge left).

    Kai
    (Roleplayer!)
    --
    www.cornrelius.de - the VGA Planets War Academy