Sign in with
Your question

NEW CASE

Last response: in Components
March 16, 2011 6:48:19 PM

I'm in the process of slowly upgrading my computer. I deceided to start with a new case. I've done my research and I'm down to two cases, Coolermaster HAF 942 and Corsair 600T. Both looks like their excellent cases. But, some research indicate small problems with the 942 and 600T. If anyone in the community have either of these cases I would welcome some advise me as their worth. Thank you.

More about : case

a c 694 ) Power supply
March 16, 2011 7:25:51 PM

It does not matter what case you talk about they are not perfect and somebody will find a flaw. Both are excellent cases!
m
l
a c 77 ) Power supply
March 16, 2011 10:20:23 PM

^+ 1 to both Post Above...

I would go with the Corsair 650D over the 600T though... IMO.

Some other cases to consider (just rattling off a few :)  )

Antec 1200 V3, Antec DF-85, Cooler Master CM690 II Advance, Silverstone Raven RV02, Antec 300 Illusion, Antec 902, or Antec DF-35
m
l
Related resources
a c 694 ) Power supply
March 16, 2011 10:27:06 PM

^+1
Like it was not hard enough to choose between two cases!
lol.
m
l
a c 77 ) Power supply
March 16, 2011 10:33:03 PM

I agree... I think the case buying is the hardest part of a build. I went back & forth on Raven or 650D for an upcoming build. I decided on the 650D for the case, as it is a smaller version of the 800D and meets my needs better with no WCing :D 
m
l
a c 694 ) Power supply
March 16, 2011 10:37:57 PM

OP! The final decision is yours you can get 20 members to recommend 20 different cases but in the end it is you that will have to work on it and live with it!
m
l
March 16, 2011 10:42:09 PM

mpere said:
I'm in the process of slowly upgrading my computer. I deceided to start with a new case. I've done my research and I'm down to two cases, Coolermaster HAF 942 and Corsair 600T. Both looks like their excellent cases. But, some research indicate small problems with the 942 and 600T. If anyone in the community have either of these cases I would welcome some advise me as their worth. Thank you.
I have experience with most cases and would go with the Antec Three Hundred Illusion. "Better" case = money wasted.

Of course you could have a board that requires more than the standard number of slot holes, but you didn't state the motherboard.
m
l
March 17, 2011 1:16:27 AM

Cases are a funny thing - different people definitely like different cases and thus you get a variety of recommendations when you start a thread like this.

I would strongly recommend that you substitute the 650D over the 600t - it is an updated case patterned after the Corsair 800. The 600T does not have USB 3.0 at its front ports and is an older case. It also does not cool that well.

I have the CM 942 HAF X and it is a great case. Keep in mind it is huge - it is a full-tower. The 650D is a mid tower and so if space and weight is an issue the 650D has the advantage. If you are going to go tri-sli or tri-crossfire and have several hard drives, large CPU coolers and a lot of other stuff then the 942 has the room for all of it. If you are just going with one or two video cards, then probably either case would be fine. The 650D probably would support three video cards but as a mid-tower you might have some problems space-wise.

The CM 942 will have superior cooling over the 650D unless you add some additional fans, but the 650D probably will cool sufficiently. the CM 942 is one of the best cooling cases made. The Silverstone Fortress also cools well, even slightly better than the 942 for CPU cooling. You can also add additional fans to the 942 and make it even better at cooling.

The two main criticisms I hear from about the CM 942 is that it is huge (this is lame because it is a full tower case and full tower cases are supposed to be big) and that the styling is not to everyone's taste. The 650D would be a better case for a business environment and it has more conservative styling. I own the 942 and I think it is a very good looking case and it has excellent build quality. It won't fit under some desks and in some computer hutches so measure the space you are going to put it in before you buy it.

The most important function for a case is to cool the components and both the 650D and the 942 do a good job of cooling with the 942 being better.

I don't have the 650D but it appears that the filters are easier to get at and clean on the 650D - the top and bottom filters on the 942 are hard to remove and clean (the others have pretty good access though).

There have been some early problems with the 650D they are listed on Newegg here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (they are the reviews from owners).

I would still choose the 650D over the 600T though. Corsair seems to be addressing the fan control issue but it could be a hassle.....Everyone says the Corsair's build quality is superb.

One last thing, the 942 is also one of the quietest cases available again only rivaled by the Silverstone Fortress. This is only true though if you do not choose high-noise components (like video cards and CPU coolers). The CM 942 case is very open and it will not muffle high-noise components. However, most of your better components are quiet including some of your better video cards and CPU coolers (Noctua N1-DH14 for example). The 650D case may have louder fans (per the complaints) than the 942. So if noise is a big issue the 942 is probably the better choice (keep in mind I don't own the 650D and so you may want to solicit advice from some actual owners of the 650D).

They are both about the same price but the 942 is available at more outlets. Corsair is said to have superb customer service (I don't have first-hand experience). I have heard some criticisms of CM's customer service (I have not needed to call them for my case).
m
l
March 18, 2011 12:15:16 AM

Quote:
^
damn, you writing a novel or something.?

Hahahaha
m
l
a c 164 ) Power supply
March 18, 2011 1:18:51 AM

corsair needs to place some of their cases on a diet. the 650 is one nice case but its really big for a mid-tower...nice if you need the space but something like a 500 or 550 to go against the CM 690, 912, antec 300 would also be nice.
m
l
March 19, 2011 5:12:58 PM

Quote:
^
damn, you writing a novel or something.?

Ha, Ha, Yeah and I am a frustrated journalist waiting for my first book to be published.

No, I just did a ton of research on dozens of computer cases and so I see a lot of aspects of the different choices. I looked very hard at all of the Corsair cases in my research. It was very difficult for me to make my choice and several people on this forum were kind enough to share their experience with different cases.

I was trying to give tecmo the some of the fine differences between the 650D (or 600T) and the HAF X. Both are good cases and so it is a difficult decision. That is what he asked for.
m
l
March 19, 2011 11:07:13 PM

Quick Note: It appears from the reviews at NewEgg that Corsair has fixed the problems with the 650D fan controllers (they were making a buzzing noise).
m
l
March 20, 2011 3:06:31 AM

Quote:
after this thread about cases and air flow, I upgrade my cases and units this weekend.
I added:
COOLER MASTER RC-692-KKN2 CM690 II Advanced - 140mm + 4x 120mm fans
to my i7-760 unit
I took the:
COOLER MASTER Elite 430 RC-430-KWN1 - 4 x 120mm fans
and it houses my (daily driver) phenom ii x4 940 unit
now my older (not in use):
SilverStone Sugo SG03 - 2 x 120mm fans + cross flow
will be sold on eBay or taking up space in my closet until (something).. LOL

and this is all because of two different threads on case..
thanks tom's, my bank account appreciates it and I can't control myself sometimes... :pfff: 

Congrats, it seems to be a very good case. However, when you add in the cost of the additional fans you are not too far away from a HAF X on sale as far as cost. Of course you may not want the size of a full tower.

The CM 692 is rated with 5 eggs with nearly 300 reviews on NewEgg. That usually indicates quality.
m
l
a c 77 ) Power supply
March 20, 2011 12:59:40 PM

flong said:
I was trying to give tecmo the some of the fine differences between the 650D (or 600T) and the HAF X. Both are good cases and so it is a difficult decision. That is what he asked for.

Though I don't have the HAF X, I'm aware of the difference between it and my Corsair 650D.

m
l
a c 694 ) Power supply
March 20, 2011 1:03:44 PM

+1
m
l
March 20, 2011 1:06:48 PM

tecmo34 said:
Though I don't have the HAF X, I'm aware of the difference between it and my Corsair 650D.

http://i964.photobucket.com/albums/ae127/Tecmo34/DSC_0523.jpg

http://i964.photobucket.com/albums/ae127/Tecmo34/DSC_0524.jpg

I really like the 650D case - it is just cool. I like the way the side panels open, the look and the Corsair quality. How does it cool? Is it a quiet case? I can't find any reviews on it. Thanks for sharing your pictures.

When I get my HAF X built out I will post some pictures. I am waiting for the Z68 boards.

When I was researching which case I would want, it really helped when people who owned the cases could share qualities not always included in the reviews. That is what I was trying to do.

BTW I have the same PSU (Corsair 850HX)
m
l
a c 77 ) Power supply
March 20, 2011 1:07:34 PM

Thanks...

I'm waiting for the "fix for the fan buzz noise" to be released from Corsair but running the fans on high is still quieter than my Antec 1200 was on medium speeds. Also, the cable management is some much better than my Antec 1200 (original) and looks like there is so much more room within side the case.

(A Modular PSU would of helped a little but not enough to make a difference I've seen with the Corsair 650D)
m
l
a c 694 ) Power supply
March 20, 2011 1:10:10 PM

Going to an HX from a TX helps with the cable clutter as well! The 650D sure looks better!
m
l
March 20, 2011 1:15:19 PM

The Corsair looks much cooler and cleaner. How does the 650D perform as far as cooling? Apparently it is pretty quiet (even with buzzing fan sounds). Also, on NewEgg, there is a review that says Corsair has fixed the buzzing fan problem. Also Corsair is asking people who have complained about the problem to get warranty help to fix it. Supposedly, Corsair has great customer service.
m
l
a c 77 ) Power supply
March 20, 2011 1:42:54 PM

flong said:
The Corsair looks much cooler and cleaner. How does the 650D perform as far as cooling? Apparently it is pretty quiet (even with buzzing fan sounds). Also, on NewEgg, there is a review that says Corsair has fixed the buzzing fan problem. Also Corsair is asking people who have complained about the problem to get warranty help to fix it. Supposedly, Corsair has great customer service.

It performs on par or a little better than the Antec 1200 for cooling. Also, it is quiet compared to the Antec 1200. I would say at low speeds, it will be almost a silent case (removing of the buzz noise :D  ).

Thanks for the feed back on the fix... I sent off a message to Corsair :D 
m
l
!