Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New build running a tad warm

Last response: in Systems
December 21, 2010 7:52:10 PM

So I just SLI-hacked my motherboard! =D
(MSI 890GXM-G65 w/ GTX 460 1GB's)

My bottom card(reference cooling) is running around 10c higher than my top card(external exhaust).

Should I keep the cards the way they are, or would it be better to switch them because of their cooling?

My case is the same used by the HP P6310y.
My PSU is a 650 Watt Silver Stone.

Any and all input helps!

Thanks,

Matt

More about : build running tad warm

Best solution

December 21, 2010 8:14:52 PM

Hello,

There is no better way to know that try it !

Run FurMark for 5 minutes with your present configuration. Write down all the max temps.
Wait a couple of minutes so that the temps return to normal.
Switch the two cards
Run FurMark for 5 minutes. Write down the max temps.
Compare the two!

Doing that shouldn't take more than 20 minutes.
December 21, 2010 8:24:38 PM

Thanks for the reply al360ex. I ran the multi gpu test and noticed that only my main card is going up in temps.
My other 460 must not be working properly in SLI. Is there a certain way to enable SLI?
Related resources
December 21, 2010 8:43:46 PM

Well, first your 2 cards must be connected together by a SLI bridge (if your mobo is SLI compatible, there was a bridge included with it).
Second, in the Nvidia driver control panel (right click on the desktop to access it) you must enable the option. Also, be sure you have the latest drivers installed. (go to that page to verify it.
December 21, 2010 8:53:07 PM

al360ex said:
Well, first your 2 cards must be connected together by a SLI bridge (if your mobo is SLI compatible, there was a bridge included with it).
Second, in the Nvidia driver control panel (right click on the desktop to access it) you must enable the option. Also, be sure you have the latest drivers installed. (go to that page to verify it.

I don't see where to enable it. I set performace to single monitor but it's still not working.

I uninstalled Nvidia drivers and reinstalled 260.99, but no luck.
a b B Homebuilt system
December 22, 2010 5:47:08 PM

In SLI setups, the upper GPU's will run hotter due to less/more restricted airflow.

Even worse in 3-4 sli setups for the middle GPU's.
December 23, 2010 1:51:58 PM

Best answer selected by jaguarmatt.
!