i want to play almost all games smoothly maxed out at 1680/1050
well i notice a big difference at this resolution
also i have a antec 380 power supply(which is 3 years old) and i wanted to run this card on it for just a couple of months until i can buy a new PSU is has over power protection so it wont blow out my board (or will it?)
what i was going to do is turn my overclock off on my amd athlon x4 620 i have it overclocked to 3.25ghz which antec calculator says the cpu using 134 watts at that clock so that would free 39watts
so the AMD 6850 uses 30-40 watts more then the Ati 4770, so would it work or would it not have enough amps(remember this is only temporary most likely 2 months)
here's the rest of my system
AMD ATHLON II 620 OC 3.25Ghz
6GB of DDR2 ram
as of now ATI 4770
2 sata hard 7200RPM drives
antec 300 case
as of now antec 380watt earth watts
going to replace this PSU with one of these choices
im gonna say yeah the hd6850 would be an upgrade from the hd4770.
being it was recently reviewed and looks like it performs little better than a hd5830.
but using less voltage than the hd5830's
and yet still more voltage than the hd4770 your antec 380watt may become mildly stressed.
you'll get more features and optimisations with the hd6850 and of course some ones gonna suggest a nvidia 470 or 460 or what ever other other numbers they may have.
i like amds non proprietary attempt at stereoscopic 3d gaming and movie watching sounds like its going to be the most basic cheaper way to enjoy that sort of feature with a hd6k series.
as far as i understand it you just need the 3d capable hdtv and the hd6k card. and software to allow stereoscopic movie playback. stereoscopic gaming on the other hand i think it will work a little differently.
Yes it will be a nice upgrade but do you really want to take a chance of killing your nice new 6850 ? As im sure you know the correct way around this is to replace your PSU first.
yeah i Guss i was so excited about getting a new gpu i didn't want to wait for a new "psu" but i will wait now i just hope they have these in stock at the time i get them.
if theres any chance it can wreck my new gpu i will not buy it now I'll wait 2 months for it