New Core i7 Build

tommyd777

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010

al360ex

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2010
Hello,

Everything looks good, but for the components you have, your CPU cooler is on the cheap side. I'd really go with a Noctua NH-D14. It's the best air CPU cooler on the market right now, and it has been for more than a year. Plus, you've probably got the only motherboard on the market right now that fits the Noctua colors (brown and beige)

Here's a review and the manufacturer's website.

I've already verified, and it's compatible with the Sabertooth. If you've got a big mid-tower, or even better a full tower, it will fit without any problem.

It's a little bit pricey, but with it you'll be able to push your overclock much higher at lower temperatures. Plus, it's a whole lot quieter than any other thanks to its 120mm and 140mm fans.

tommyd777

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010
Ya I completely agree and I was thinking about that, but it is a little out of my price range because I just bought a truck so I was going with the best cooler with a combo discount and that's what I found.

I've read a lot of the reviews for the one I picked and for the price it's excellent. I will try it out and see how it runs and if I end up not liking it I will definitely return it and possibly try yours. I don't plan on OCing too much because it's not necessarily needed for the games I want but it should be fine with the one I picked.

Onto my build as a whole I've looked for awhile now and I think with you that it is a good setup I just wanted some additional info on what others thought.

Thanks for your time

lothdk

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010

For only $5 more this combo of the same CPU but with a CM Hyper 212+ would be a better choice, as you would probably know from the reviews you have read.

eloric

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
^ +1 to LothDK. That CPU is way too big for that little 92 mm cooler. The CM Hyper 212+ is still under powered, but will give you a decent everyday overclock. That mobo is not deisgned to do extreme overclocking anyway.