Pentium M

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
February 15, 2005 10:19:44 PM

Hi Everyone...

I am a bit confused between the Pentium M, and the Centrino. I am
looking to buy a used laptop online, and the description syas that it
has a Pentium M. Does this mean that it had built-in (internal)
wireless (whether it is 802.11b/g)? Sorry for the silly question.

Thanks in advance.

More about : pentium

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 15, 2005 10:34:42 PM

Hi Terry...

Thanks for getting back to me. So, I guess that I can assume that it
doesn't include built-in wireless (even if it is done through the
mini-PCI slot)? Thanks for your help!

Jameson

tc wrote:
> Centrino is the name for an Intel chipset including wireless (b or g
> depending on age) which includes the Pentium M processor. When the
computer
> maker didn't want to use the Intel wireless chip (because they had
something
> cheaper or better or didn't include wireless) they could still use
the
> Pentium M and chipset but not the name Centrino.
> Terry
>
> "Jameson" <jameson_ray@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > Hi Everyone...
> >
> > I am a bit confused between the Pentium M, and the Centrino. I am
> > looking to buy a used laptop online, and the description syas that
it
> > has a Pentium M. Does this mean that it had built-in (internal)
> > wireless (whether it is 802.11b/g)? Sorry for the silly question.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.

February 16, 2005 6:27:26 AM

Centrino is the name for an Intel chipset including wireless (b or g
depending on age) which includes the Pentium M processor. When the computer
maker didn't want to use the Intel wireless chip (because they had something
cheaper or better or didn't include wireless) they could still use the
Pentium M and chipset but not the name Centrino.
Terry

"Jameson" <jameson_ray@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Hi Everyone...
>
> I am a bit confused between the Pentium M, and the Centrino. I am
> looking to buy a used laptop online, and the description syas that it
> has a Pentium M. Does this mean that it had built-in (internal)
> wireless (whether it is 802.11b/g)? Sorry for the silly question.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Related resources
February 16, 2005 7:07:22 AM

That is not a given. One of the main reasons the laptop makers didn't use
the Centrino name was that the Intel wireless chip only supported 11b
originally. Check the specs of the unit you are interested in to see if it
has wireless. Ask the seller.

> Hi Terry...
>
> Thanks for getting back to me. So, I guess that I can assume that it
> doesn't include built-in wireless (even if it is done through the
> mini-PCI slot)? Thanks for your help!
>
> Jameson
>
> tc wrote:
>> Centrino is the name for an Intel chipset including wireless (b or g
>> depending on age) which includes the Pentium M processor. When the
> computer
>> maker didn't want to use the Intel wireless chip (because they had
> something
>> cheaper or better or didn't include wireless) they could still use
> the
>> Pentium M and chipset but not the name Centrino.
>> Terry
>>
>> "Jameson" <jameson_ray@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> > Hi Everyone...
>> >
>> > I am a bit confused between the Pentium M, and the Centrino. I am
>> > looking to buy a used laptop online, and the description syas that
> it
>> > has a Pentium M. Does this mean that it had built-in (internal)
>> > wireless (whether it is 802.11b/g)? Sorry for the silly question.
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance.

February 16, 2005 10:40:23 AM

Jameson <jameson_ray@comcast.net> wrote:
: Hi Everyone...

: I am a bit confused between the Pentium M, and the Centrino. I am
: looking to buy a used laptop online, and the description syas that it
: has a Pentium M. Does this mean that it had built-in (internal)
: wireless (whether it is 802.11b/g)? Sorry for the silly question.

Centrino is a package that includes the Pentium M CPU, an Intel
Chipset, and an integrated WiFi card. As I understand it, the
Centrino Wireless card is still just plugged into a mini-PCI slot.

A Pentium M laptop not branded "Centrino" may or may not have
integrated wireless. The laptop manufacturer may simply have opted
for a different wireless solution or may have wanted to add a wireless
option as an upgrade.

I don't really know of any benefit to using (or not using) the Intel
802.11g that is part of Centrino (early ones were 802.11b, the new
ones should all be g/b). As long as the laptop has integrated
(mini-PCI) wireless and was Pentium M, I wouldn't care if it was
Centrino or not.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
a b D Laptop

"Jameson" wrote

> I am a bit confused between the Pentium M, and the Centrino. I am
> looking to buy a used laptop online, and the description syas that it
> has a Pentium M. Does this mean that it had built-in (internal)
> wireless (whether it is 802.11b/g)? Sorry for the silly question.

Not a silly question - a few moths ago I was just as puzzled as you are.

It probably won't have the PCI card, but have a slot for it.

I recently bought a laptop with a Pentium-M processor. It did not include
the mini PCI card (but has a slot for it). Since I installed an Intel 2200
g-type mini PCI card, I have been getting a Centrino message when I boot up
the computer (i.e. the system now recognises that all tree Centrino
characteristics - processor, chipset and wireless - are present).
In other words, a Centrino package without the mini PCI card is legally not
a Centrino, but really it is.

You should still check the exact type of Pentium-M. As I understand the
early ones are not saving battery power as well as the more recent ones.

Georg

Professional speech recognition at http://www.linguaconsult.de (German
language website)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 16, 2005 3:09:09 PM

Georg E. wrote:
> "Jameson" wrote
>
>> I am a bit confused between the Pentium M, and the Centrino. I am
>> looking to buy a used laptop online, and the description syas that it
>> has a Pentium M. Does this mean that it had built-in (internal)
>> wireless (whether it is 802.11b/g)? Sorry for the silly question.
>
> Not a silly question - a few moths ago I was just as puzzled as you
> are.
>
> It probably won't have the PCI card, but have a slot for it.
>
> I recently bought a laptop with a Pentium-M processor. It did not
> include the mini PCI card (but has a slot for it). Since I installed
> an Intel 2200 g-type mini PCI card, I have been getting a Centrino
> message when I boot up the computer (i.e. the system now recognises
> that all tree Centrino characteristics - processor, chipset and
> wireless - are present).
> In other words, a Centrino package without the mini PCI card is
> legally not a Centrino, but really it is.
>
> You should still check the exact type of Pentium-M. As I understand
> the early ones are not saving battery power as well as the more
> recent ones.
>
> Georg
>
> Professional speech recognition at http://www.linguaconsult.de (German
> language website)

Further complicating this is that many laptops have mini-pci card slots,
but no corresponding antenna or worse, nothing more than the access
panel to the slot so a card cannot be installed. It pays to actually
examine the card slot to verify that it has antenna leads and the card
mounting hardware installed.

a b D Laptop
February 16, 2005 6:59:26 PM

Hi Stavros...

The laptop I am looking to buy is a used Dell Inspiron 600m. I know
Dell is still making them, but this one isn't brand new. The listing
shows that the processor type is a Pentium M. If I am correct, this
could still mean that it is a Centrino, right?

Any ideas?

I would like to thank everyone for the help!

Stavros Christoforou wrote:
> Jameson wrote:
> > Hi Everyone...
> >
> > I am a bit confused between the Pentium M, and the Centrino. I am
> > looking to buy a used laptop online, and the description syas that
it
> > has a Pentium M. Does this mean that it had built-in (internal)
> > wireless (whether it is 802.11b/g)? Sorry for the silly question.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> Just state the laptop type/model and we might be able to tell you the

> exact answer concerning the existence/not of a card
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 16, 2005 7:19:50 PM

Jameson wrote:
> Hi Everyone...
>
> I am a bit confused between the Pentium M, and the Centrino. I am
> looking to buy a used laptop online, and the description syas that it
> has a Pentium M. Does this mean that it had built-in (internal)
> wireless (whether it is 802.11b/g)? Sorry for the silly question.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Just state the laptop type/model and we might be able to tell you the
exact answer concerning the existence/not of a card
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 17, 2005 3:50:09 AM

Jameson wrote:
> Hi Stavros...
>
> The laptop I am looking to buy is a used Dell Inspiron 600m. I know
> Dell is still making them, but this one isn't brand new. The listing
> shows that the processor type is a Pentium M. If I am correct, this
> could still mean that it is a Centrino, right?

All Centrinos are Pentium Ms, but not all Pentium Ms are Centrinos.

The mere absence of an internal WiFi card doesn't mean that the unit can't
be upgraded to WiFi later as most recent laptops come with the antennae
already installed whether or not there's a card present.

The 600m is one of these cases AFAIK and already has the antennae installed
regardless of whether there's a Wifi card installed.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins600m/e...

Your best course of action of course is to simply ask the seller!

Regards,

James
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 17, 2005 1:38:38 PM

* Ham KH6JF AARS/MARS ABM6JF QCWA WW2 VET WD RADIO *
* Army MARS State Coordinator for Hawaii *

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005, JHEM wrote:

> Jameson wrote:
>> Hi Stavros...
>>
>> The laptop I am looking to buy is a used Dell Inspiron 600m. I know
>> Dell is still making them, but this one isn't brand new. The listing
>> shows that the processor type is a Pentium M. If I am correct, this
>> could still mean that it is a Centrino, right?
>
> All Centrinos are Pentium Ms, but not all Pentium Ms are Centrinos.
>
> The mere absence of an internal WiFi card doesn't mean that the unit can't
> be upgraded to WiFi later as most recent laptops come with the antennae
> already installed whether or not there's a card present.
>
> The 600m is one of these cases AFAIK and already has the antennae installed
> regardless of whether there's a Wifi card installed.
>
> http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins600m/e...
>
> Your best course of action of course is to simply ask the seller!
>
> Regards,
>
> James

Speaking of Pentium "M", I have an old Toshiba CDT 420 which defines
itself as "Pentium M". Does that mean its a Pentium 1 or what?
It seems must much faster than my old NEC laptops which are old
486's. That I/O speed is a Pentium "M"????
Kokomo Joe
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 17, 2005 4:58:43 PM

Steve Buggie buggie@unm.edu
UNM-Gallup
200 College Road
Gallup NM 87301

MACINTOSH POWERBOOK #170 LAPTOP
==================================

THANKS to all who offered advice on getting my Mac #170 to
read/write Apple II disks. Som eone sent me a file for the extensions
folder, and it now works!

NEED 12vDC POWER ADAPTOR: The 115v AC adaptor gives output of DC 7.5
volts, 2.0 amps, center-positive polarity. What I now want is an adaptor
to run the computer from a cars cigarette lighter socket: DC 12 volts.
Who has it? Would offer $10. if the adaptor is the orginal one for Mac
lamptop. (Would also buy the 115V AC adapter with this one as a pair. If
your Powerbook #170 is non-functioning, would bid for it also at a
nominally cheap price ($10) to get it for spare parts.

REPLACE INTERNAL BATTERY FOR MAC #170: The battery inside my Mac #170
seems dead. How do I get inside to replace the battery? Where can the
battery be purchased, and at approx what cost? Is it Ni-Cad or some other
type? If I remove the screws from the bottom of the Mac 170, will any
components fly out? Is the battery replacement user-serviceable?

Thanks, Steve Buggie buggie@unm.edu
2/17/2005

Steve Buggie | Programmer / D.J. |
Psychology Professor | TROPICAL REGGAE |
Univ. of New Mexico, Gallup | 10pm to 12pm Friday |
200 College Rd. | KGLP-FM 91.7 MHz |
Gallup, NM 87301 | Gallup Public Radio |
** buggie@unm.edu phone: (505) 863-7504 or 863-2390 **
** Music on this show is "roots reggae" only; No rap, No **
** hip-hop. Dancehall style will be aired only if it has a **
** clear reggae beat. For KGLP programming information, check **
** our website: www.kglp.org Promotional CDs should be **
** mailed to: Tropical Reggae, KGLP-FM, Gallup Public Radio, **
!