Geforce GTX 280 Freezing :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nadun29

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2010
So Ive been running this card and set up for about a year now. No problems before this. But just recently I was trying to play a game (The Witcher) and my screen would freeze as soon as it tried to render 3D. The sound would get all weird and crazy and the only way to fix this was to reboot. I then installed a new game (1701 A.D.) and tried to play that, but about 10min into rendering any 3D same problem.

Here is somebodies youtube clip of what it looks like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3ldQXtGWHM
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKFTKzmccM4

Setup:
BFG Tech Geforce GTX 280 (260.89 Drivers, currently)
Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 (stock)
EVGA nForce 780i SLI motherboard
OCZ 6gigs PC2-6400
Corsair 750W PSU

Temperatures @ idle are around 50C, under load about 65C. The problem started while using the 258.96 drivers, that I have had no issues with since I started running them. Once I had this freezing problem I reinstalled them, to no avail. So I installed the older 195.62, still same problem. Just updated to 260.89 and its still happening. Took out the card, cleaned it out, reseated it, double checked all the PCI-E rails were snug, still nothing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Im normally at least a little tech savvy, but this has stumped me.

Matt

Nadun29

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2010
bah. No RMA for me I guess. Going to do a clean out the old drivers I guess then. Hadnt done that since I thought it was a hardware issue.

Ill give it a shot.

I wouldn't be surprised that it may have been a slow death with little warning as to it's gradual decay. Perhaps that you could clean the card and replace the compound. While doing so search for any broken, burnt out, or missing parts that may have bricked the card. If total loss then ovenbake it....

Nadun29

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2010
Used Driversweep, but no good either.

Will do, I took the card apart to clean it and the factory compound looked fine, but Ill try replacing it with some silver compound.

Thanks.

sabot-cdn

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010
I have the same card that failed in similar fashion. BFG was getting out of the gpu market at the time when mine died, I do however recall seeing that they would be standing behind their existing products for future rma's. Contact customer service and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.