Status
Not open for further replies.

sahall91

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2010
I'm designing my own computer and I'm trying to decide between ATI and NVIDIA. I know there is a price difference, but I've only used NVIDIA cards to date. I'm leaning towards the GTX 460-70 models, What's ATI's equivalent, or is there one?

Solution
These:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102908&cm_re=6850-_-14-102-908-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161349&cm_re=6870-_-14-161-349-_-Product

The 6850 outperforms the 460 1 gig by about 5-10% and costs $20 less, 6870 loses to the 470 by about 7%, however costs less, as well as doesnt produce nearly as much heat or use nearly as much energy. Also since these were released less than a week ago, they will likely gain 5-10% performance within the next month due to drivers.

sahall91

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2010

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE:March 2011

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: 750w P/S No GPUyet

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS:Undecided on CPU so either NVIDIA nforce for an AMD or an X58 Mobo

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS:Newegg, TigerDirect, Amazon
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN:U.S.

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION:1920x1080i (32 in LCD)
)

ares1214

Splendid
These:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102908&cm_re=6850-_-14-102-908-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161349&cm_re=6870-_-14-161-349-_-Product

The 6850 outperforms the 460 1 gig by about 5-10% and costs $20 less, 6870 loses to the 470 by about 7%, however costs less, as well as doesnt produce nearly as much heat or use nearly as much energy. Also since these were released less than a week ago, they will likely gain 5-10% performance within the next month due to drivers.

Solution
I could see still getting a GTX 470 if you really don't care about power efficiency/heat and are going to give it a healthy OC but other than that the HD6850 or HD6870 are the way to go.
The GTX 460 768mb is also still a decent buy if that is a price area you are considering.

cirslevin

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
$150: 460 768MB --- no ATi equivalent
$180: 460 1G ------- HD 6850,
$240: 470 ----------- HD 6870

at $150, its definitely 460-768MB, others, I would go with AMD/ATi. For less power draw and eyefinity, since they perform similar.

ares1214

Splendid

768mb is suppose to beat the 6850 by 1% as far as perf/$, so i do agree with it, however i wouldnt recommend it above 16x10 due to low memory, it takes a hit at higher res and AA. If you have 19x10 or 19x12, id go with the 6850/6870. We do have to consider the fact neither has voltage control, so overclocking is up in the air, and that drivers will come. In a month, they should be quite a bit better, but thats how every new card is. Most people forget fermi had sub 58xx scaling right when they were released, or atleast they tied it. I remember at release, 3x 5870 would beat 3x 480. Now look at it :lol:

ares1214

Splendid

Everybody is using MSI Afterburner to test the 6870 and 6850, MSI afterburner doesnt support their voltage control yet, and therefore people cant control voltage. Those who have been able to by other means have gotten some nice OC's apparently.

sahall91

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2010
This is a stupid question, but nvidia's dont work better or worse with intels or AMD's and vice versa for ATI? I seem to ussualy see ATI and AMD paired together and Intel and Nvidia.

cirslevin

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010

i dont think so.

I don't think those reviews are using different CPUs for A/N cards.

That's different from saying the cards don't have voltage control. They do and I'm sure the next update of Afterburner will handle them fine.

No, the kind of processor doesn't matter at all. In fact people used to assume the opposite a few years ago when most AMD chipsets were made by Nvidia and AMD hadn't bought ATI yet. The only consideration is that you aren't going to find any motherboards for AMD processors that can SLI except for ones that still use Nvidia chipsets and those are generally considered inferior at this point.

ares1214

Splendid

Nvidia doesnt always work as well with AMD, but AMD and Nvidia work just as well with Intel.

notty22

Distinguished
Actually I'm sure there are going to be some new Barts that don't have voltage control, because they are using direct components from custom 5850's.
There are some like the Asus and the Saphire model TPU tested that do have voltage control, they used a more expensive exploitable voltage ic.
Someone will have to work out a list.

ares1214

Splendid

Lack of voltage control via software or lack of voltage control period, same thing IMO.

IMO your O is nuts then :p
Having to wait a short time for software that can use a feature is very different from not having the feature at all. If someone had given you an HD6850 3 months ago but you had no drivers that made it functional would you just have thrown it in the garbage?

ares1214

Splendid

Of course not, but its like having a gun with no bullets or no gun at all. Effectively the same thing. But we are arguing over wording...

Using words poorly is often the equivalent of giving out bad information. If a person coming here for advice reads a card "doesn't have voltage control" or that "the GT 240 is smoother than the 9800GT" they are very likely to take it at face value and both are incorrect. When I see people handing out bad information I speak up. If you have an issue with this then it is problem of your own, not mine.

ares1214

Splendid

Calm down. All im getting at is that the inability to control voltage currently is the same as having none at all currently. No need to read into it that much.

Who isn't calm? I know and knew from the start what you were saying but the way you said it was misleading to the less informed. So I spelled out the difference between the real situation regarding the voltage control on the cards and the likely interpretation of your phrasing because the difference in quite important IMO. Not sure why you came back acting like having to wait for the next update of Afterburner is exactly the same as a card not having voltage control at all rather than agreeing with me but whatever.

ares1214

Splendid
OK OK - sing it with me one time......

[Chorus]
We are the world
We are the children
We are the ones who make a brighter day
So let's start giving
There's a choice we're making
We're saving our own lives
It's true we'll make a better day
Just you and me

:lol:

I completely botched the tune on that one up :sarcastic:

Kum bai ya my lord! Kum bai ya! (swaying holding hands)

Status
Not open for further replies.