can't lay webs

Last response: in Video Games
September 1, 2004 5:25:34 PM

hi there

here is the little problem
I am playing the x-tals in a game and I am at war with my neighbour. Of
course he already uses his heavy phasor ships to sweep my webs and I
continue laying new ones and wait for the moment when he can not support
his ships with enough fuel anymore. I guess I have the longer breath.
But now I want to lay a few new webmines and wanted to see how large
they will be (using Echoview32 1.2.22 beta, no problems so far). When I
press f9 (like every turn to see what I'm doing) I see nothing!

No matter what I do, no new webminefields appear. I have tried
everything. I checked my friendly codes, the ships, the mission,
reloaded the EV data, etc... but nothing changes.

So what is happening here? Have I laid to many mines and there is a
limit like the shiplimit? Is that a winplan bug? A problem with Echoview
and the webs will be there even tough I can't see them in the minefield sim?

Would be a pretty boring war for the x-tals without webmines :)

Cheers
Michael

More about : lay webs

Anonymous
September 1, 2004 5:25:35 PM

Hate to tell you this Mike, but yes there is a 500 maximum minefield setting
just like the maximum ship setting. Once it is reached, no more minefields
can be laid.

Ed
Anonymous
September 1, 2004 5:28:39 PM

I forgot to mention something

adding mines to existing minefields seem to work since the ships in the
webs I laid last turn still have the mission and this result ist also
shown in echoview.

I REALLY REALLY hope there is no limit like the shiplimit.

Michael
September 1, 2004 10:18:21 PM

edsvga <host@battlestarcommand.com> wrote:
> Hate to tell you this Mike, but yes there is a 500 maximum minefield setting
> just like the maximum ship setting. Once it is reached, no more minefields
> can be laid.
>
> Ed

*Nods* I also ran into that 'little' problem. It means that either your host
needs to tweak a config in his pconfig file or that you are scrwed from turn
30 (or whenever the 500 minefield limit is reached).

--
Hennes
Anonymous

*sigh*

but thank you for the answers...

any chance to find out if it is really that problem (a counter?)?
The strange thing is I did not lay so many webs. And I can not imagine
that the other players laid sooo many mines. I had ships almost
everywhere and never found large quantities of small minefields.

And even more suspect: laying mines with some ships works... with some
other ships not.

But at least I'm prepared for an even worse situation.

Michael
Anonymous
September 2, 2004 5:47:29 PM

Op 2004-09-02, Michael Horak schreef <horak.michael@aon.nospam.at>:
> any chance to find out if it is really that problem (a counter?)?

What IDs do the minefields (your's and other's) have? If all minefield
IDs you see are let's say below 200, then it is hard to imagine that
in another part of the galaxy there are more than 300 minefields with
higher IDs. In that case, the problem should be elsewhere.

Did you already mention if you use host or Phost? If Phost, what is
the value in pconfig.src of CPNumMinefields or NumMinefields? Default
is 500, which is presumably - as mentioned before - also the limit in
host. Phost can also have MaximumMinefieldsPerPlayer which may
interfere. If that is in effect, you will get a message each turn
though, so you should have noticed in that case.

--
Maurits van Rees | planets.maurits@xs4all.nl
http://maurits.vanrees.org/ [Dutch/Nederlands]

> What IDs do the minefields (your's and other's) have? If all minefield
> IDs you see are let's say below 200, then it is hard to imagine that
> in another part of the galaxy there are more than 300 minefields with
> higher IDs. In that case, the problem should be elsewhere.

Yeah, I checked the minefield IDs and haven't found any over 100. That
was the same conclusion... there can not be an area with 400 minefields!

> Did you already mention if you use host or Phost? If Phost, what is
> the value in pconfig.src of CPNumMinefields or NumMinefields? Default
> is 500, which is presumably - as mentioned before - also the limit in
> host. Phost can also have MaximumMinefieldsPerPlayer which may
> interfere. If that is in effect, you will get a message each turn
> though, so you should have noticed in that case.

Definintely not. Even worse that I had to find out that some ships CAN
lay mines and some others can NOT. I already thought Echoview assumes
that that ship that should end up in my webs has a mine sweep mission
and sweeps the webs in the same turn since it has a lower id. But I
already set the mission of this ship to sensor sweep manually and got
the same result. A few ships can not lay webmines. I will see if this
problem is still there this turn.

Michael
Anonymous
September 3, 2004 10:04:58 PM

Why can't 1 little space have so many mines? I have done it as crystals.
From turn 3 I lay 10 mark 4 torps into webs with every ship that isn't
inside a web. By turn 20 with 35 ships, you can imagine that I have a
lot of webs. After web limit hits, I can always max out the webs. When
the others don'T pay attention....

ciao
paul

!