Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading AMD Athlon 64 to an AMD Athlon 64 x2. First time!

Last response: in CPUs
March 17, 2011 3:06:29 AM

My question is: is this the cheepest way to go, and would the processor be the only thing I have to replace? I am somewhat computer savvy, but this would be the first time I perform an upgrade. I have read several threads detailing it, but just wanted to make sure I understand what I'm getting into before I do it.

Thank you!
a b à CPUs
March 17, 2011 3:38:55 AM

Yes it's pretty cheap. But putting in an old processor to replace an older one isn't a great investment
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 17, 2011 6:15:51 AM

System specs? The Athlon 64 X2 is pretty out of date by now. I know, I still have one myself. What do you plan to do with the system?
m
l
Related resources
March 19, 2011 6:50:24 PM

I know it's rather out-of-date and I guess it would probably be a better idea to bump it up to a quad and just skip the dual, but really the only reason I'm doing it is so that I can play Rift. It requires a dual-core. Also I bought my computer about four years ago and I think it's time for an upgrade. I will also be investing in some more RAM and possibly a new video card since I also play WoW and the performance has been choppy. What is the difference between a dual and a quad core processor anyway? Just faster?

Specs are:
AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3500+
2.20 GHz, 1.43 GB of RAM

Up to this point all of the hardware is stock other than one stick of RAM that I added.

Thank you again!
m
l
a c 88 à CPUs
a b À AMD
March 19, 2011 11:04:30 PM

what you need to know is what socket is your current processor. It could be socket 939, 940 i would assume, in which case you will be looking at second hand cpu's. The new athlon 64 x2 CPU's will simply not work or fit in your motherboard. Please state the socket and you motherboard model.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 23, 2011 12:42:16 PM

^Agreed. When providing systems specs, give as much information as you can. Also include power supply information.
m
l
!