Sign in with
Your question

New Computer, big problem

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 24, 2010 7:53:46 PM

Hi all

Just a quick question, Bought a new computer today i was so excited here is the spec

Intel Core i5 760 CPU
2 x 2GB DDR3 1333Mhz
ATX Black Gaming Tower Case
750w ATX Power Supply
Intel H55 Chipset Motherboard
Windows 7 (64 bit)

I also bought a Gigabyte GTX 460 OC 1GB GDDR5 OC Edition and had it all put togother for me at novatech but...

When i got home everything was running smooth up until the point i tryed to run a game FFXIV and the benchmark program you can use to see how your computer will run playing it. anyway whenever i try to run the benchamark or game the computer restarts everytime, the benchmark may run for a min or two but then restarts my pc. So do i take it back to the shop or have i done somthing wrong?

Thanks for any replies in advance

More about : computer big problem

October 24, 2010 8:53:54 PM

Make sure that you have the latest drivers for the GPU. If the problem still persists it may pay to take it back. It could be a PSU issue. If you dig into the system to deeply they may void your warranty and there is no profit in throwing that away at this stage.
a b Î Nvidia
October 24, 2010 8:55:16 PM

make sure both power connectors as firmly seated with the GTX 460
Related resources
October 25, 2010 7:04:03 AM

Thanks for the reply guys, gonna take it down today and I'll update. I just hope it hasn't been fitted properly and nothing more serious :( 
a b Î Nvidia
October 25, 2010 8:14:39 AM

what brand power supply is it? its probably a no-name brand that cant really output 750w and it is dying under load.
a b Î Nvidia
October 25, 2010 1:47:46 PM

that rigs is not pushing a 750w to load though, at most he is hitting 350w at load.

October 25, 2010 10:08:48 PM

Hey guys its all working now - Yeh the power supply was a big failure and wasnt pumping out enough juice had to buy a new one everything is running fine now. Got some new problems now in FFXIV with the card freezing up mid game in combat areas just looking at other posts i think it might be becuase the cards overclocked so i may need to reduce it a bit :( 
a b Î Nvidia
October 25, 2010 10:41:18 PM

Gigabyte would back up their factory OC, I'd RMA for a good one instead. That said, it definitely pays to investigate further. Check the temps, and make sure you have latest drivers and such
October 26, 2010 1:04:10 AM

Turns out i had to install the game again runs fine now lol, probally corrupted data. One last question i pushed my settings up high and my graphics card temp was about 72oc is that a safe level for long gaming periods i would you reccomend lowering it a bit. Thanks again for all your replys youve been a great help
a b Î Nvidia
October 26, 2010 1:28:33 AM

72c is cool for a graphic card, they can hit 100c and still operate although try not to go that high
a b Î Nvidia
October 26, 2010 1:50:33 AM

just out of curiosity - what brand was the old 750w PSU? Ill make sure I dont get that one.
a b Î Nvidia
October 26, 2010 2:06:31 AM

if its a cyberpower or ibuypower, its most likely a sigma or xion
!